Recording of the Microsoft 365 – General M365 development Special Interest Group (SIG) community call from February 4, 2021.
Recording at Microsoft 365 Community YouTube channel.
Latest news from Microsoft 365 engineering and updates on open-source projects: PnP .NET libraries, PnP PowerShell, modernization tooling, on yo Teams, on Microsoft Graph Toolkit, and on Microsoft Teams Samples.
Announced today – Viva Connections a bundle of products to connect people, content, events. For example – create Adaptive Cards with SPFx for any existing Teams app. More details on Viva Connections in future calls. Site Design & Office Hours calls happening weekly on the Sharing-is-Caring site. Latest project releases include PnP .NET Libraries – PnP Framework v1.0.0 and prepping for releases of PnP Framework v1.2.0 and PnP Core SDK GA. PnP PowerShell v1.2.0 released and nightly build v.1.2.13. yo Teams Preview v3.0.0 preview 3 released along with Microsoft Graph Toolkit v2.0.1. Released 2 new/updated Microsoft Teams Samples. The host of this call was Bert Jansen (Microsoft) @O365bert. Q&A takes place in chat throughout the call.
Thank you for being part of today’s Together Mode photo!
- Use Teams Samples – https://aka.ms/teams-samples
- Register for Sharing is Caring Events
- First Time Contributor Session – February 24th (EMEA, APAC & US friendly times available)
- Community Docs Session – February dates TBD based on registrations
- PnP – SPFx Developer Workstation Setup – February 16th & 22nd
- PnP SPFx Samples – Solving SPFx version differences using Node Version Manager – February 8th & 23rd
- PnP – AMA (Ask Me Anything) – PnPjs Edition – February 9th
- Download the recurrent invite for this call – http://aka.ms/m365-dev-sig
- Call attention to your great work by using the #PnPWeekly on Twitter.
Microsoft Teams Development Samples: (https://aka.ms/TeamsSampleBrowser)
- Teams Proactive Bot Messaging – Hilton Giesenow | @TheMossShow
- Create Microsoft Teams Meeting with Calling & Meeting Bot / Add a custom app to the meeting programmatically – Abtin Amini and Arun Kumar Anaparthi
Demos delivered in this session
- Preview of the Ask Away v2 – Teams app template – new capabilities enable Ask Away to work efficiently during meetings. Crowdsource questions for your next Q&A, Collect questions live or in chat during meetings, upvote on questions and stack rank responses in real-time. During demo, create a session, ask/answer questions, end session, view asked/answered questions from other sessions presented in pick list. V2.0 is due to release later this month.
- Building Microsoft Teams Apps with Blazor – it is not unreasonable to state there are challenges on building Teams apps with Blazor. There is a fair amount of boilerplate code that needs to be written. The presenter decided to write that boilerplate code found in the Blazorade Teams component library, in preview. Now writing apps with Blazor is greatly simplified! Step through the creation of a simple personal tab application created with Blazor.
- SP Formatter – Enhanced SharePoint List Column formatting – customize your SharePoint Column or View Formatting JSON using full-featured editor instead of out-of-box. Recently released OOB formatting looks very similar to SP Formatter, but wait, there are differences. What’s new? Live preview, IntelliSense and tool tips for styles and icons, replaceable tokens, context aware suggestions, resizable code workspace, and VS Code Integration Mode with the SP Formatter VSCode extension.
Thank you for your work. Samples are often showcased in Demos.
Topics covered in this call
- PnP.NET library updates – Bert Jansen (Microsoft) | @O365bert – 6:02
- PnP PowerShell updates – Erwin van Hunen (Valo Intranet) | @erwinvanhunen – 8:46
- yo Teams updates – Bert Jansen (Microsoft) | @O365bert – 11:09
- Microsoft Graph Toolkit updates – Beth Pan (Microsoft) | @beth_panx –11:37
- Microsoft Teams samples – Bob German (Microsoft) @Bob1German – 13:20
- Demo: Preview on the Ask Away v2 – Teams app template – Kiran Thomas (Microsoft) | @NotKiran – 15:35
- Demo: Building Microsoft Teams Apps with Blazor – Mika Berglund (Valtti) | @MikaBerglund – 26:32
- Demo: SP Formatter – Enhanced SharePoint List Column formatting – Sergei Sergeev (Mastaq) |@sergeev_srg – 43:59
Additional resources around the covered topics and links from the slides.
- Slides used in this community call
- Viva Connections https://aka.ms/VivaConnections
- Document: Ask Away
- Demo Script – Microsoft Teams with Blazor
- Documentation – Introduction to ASP.NET Core Blazor
- Repo – Blazorade Teams
- Website – Blazor University
- Extension – SP Formatter
- Extension – SP Formatter VSCode extension
- PnP Weekly – Episode 112 with guest Ed Everett, Principal Group Program Manager from Microsoft | video | podcast
- SharePoint look book
- Yo Teams video training package
- .NET Standard 2.0 version of SharePoint Online CSOM API
- Microsoft 365 community (PnP) videos | aka.ms/m365pnp-videos
- Microsoft Teams Toolkit for Visual Studio Code
- yo Teams | aka.ms/yoteams
- Video – Getting started using yo Teams | Wictor Wilén (Avanade)| @wictor
- Build a crisis management site to connect people and information
- Developer documentation | https://aka.ms/spdev-docs
- PnP Power Shell
- SharePoint Modernization Partner Guidance – Feedback welcome
- Solution – Building a modern search experiences with SharePoint Framework web parts
- Page transformation guidance
- Page transformation videos
- Modernization scanner
- Microsoft 365 developer program site – Need to become a Tenant Admin to test look book capabilities? Get a Microsoft 365 E5 developer subscription (free tenant for 90 days)
- SharePoint Provisioning Service – Easily provision look book designs to any tenant in the world
- SharePoint Provisioning templates on Github
- PnP Provisioning Tenant Templates documentation
- SharePoint Page Transformation webcast series
- PnP Power Shell
- SharePoint Modernization Tools
Upcoming Calls | Recurrent Invites:
- SharePoint monthly call: February 9th at 08:00am PDT | https://aka.ms/sp-call
- Adaptive Cards monthly call: February 11th at 9:00 am PDT | https://aka.ms/adaptivecardscommunitycall
- SharePoint Framework call: February 11th at 07:00am PDT | https://aka.ms/spdev-spfx-call
- Office add-in monthly call: January 13th at 8 AM PDT | https://aka.ms/officeaddinscall
- Microsoft Teams monthly call: February 16th at 8:00am PDT | https://aka.ms/microsoftteamscommunitycall
- Power Apps monthly call: February 17th at 8:00am PDT | https://aka.ms/PowerAppsMonthlyCall
- M365 General Dev call: February 18th at 07:00am PDT | https://aka.ms/m365-dev-sig
- Microsoft Graph call: March 2nd at 8:00am PDT | https://aka.ms/microsoftgraphcall
General Microsoft 365 Dev Special Interest Group bi-weekly calls are targeted at anyone who’s interested in the general Microsoft 365 development topics. This includes Microsoft Teams, Bots, Microsoft Graph, CSOM, REST, site provisioning, PnP PowerShell, PnP Sites Core, Site Designs, Microsoft Flow, PowerApps, Column Formatting, list formatting, etc. topics. More details on the Microsoft 365 community from http://aka.ms/m365pnp. We also welcome community demos, if you are interested in doing a live demo in these calls!
You can download recurrent invite from http://aka.ms/m365-dev-sig. Welcome and join in the discussion. If you have any questions, comments, or feedback, feel free to provide your input as comments to this post as well. More details on the Microsoft 365 community and options to get involved are available from http://aka.ms/m365pnp.
“Sharing is caring”
Microsoft 365 PnP team, Microsoft – 5th of February 2021