Recording of the Microsoft 365 – General M365 development Special Interest Group (SIG) community call from March 4, 2021.
Recording at Microsoft 365 Community YouTube channel.
Latest news from Microsoft 365 engineering and updates on open-source projects: PnP .NET libraries, PnP PowerShell, modernization tooling, on yo Teams, on Microsoft Graph Toolkit, and on Microsoft Teams Samples.
Latest project updates include: PnP .NET Libraries – prepping to release PnP Framework v1.3.0 and PnP Core SDK GA v1.0.0. the week of March 8th. As well PnP PowerShell v1.4.0 is set to release the week of March 8th and builds are delivered nightly. For PnP Modernization tooling – added PnP Page Transformation and released Modernization Scanner v2.19. yo Teams generator-teams (apps generator) v3.0.3, yo teams-build-core (gulp tasks) v1.0.1 + v1.1.0 Preview, and msteams-react-base-component (React UI helpers) v3.1.0, have been released. Microsoft Graph Toolkit v2.1.0 includes Msal provider support to domainHint. Register now for March trainings on Sharing-is-caring. The host of this call was Paolo Pialorsi (PiaSys.com) | @paolopia. Q&A takes place in chat throughout the call.
Thank you for taking the time to share your face and hands with others in your community. We are on this together!
- Use Teams Samples – https://aka.ms/teams-samples
- Register for Sharing is Caring Events
- First Time Contributor Session – March 22nd (EMEA, APAC & US friendly times available)
- Community Docs Session – March
- PnP – SPFx Developer Workstation Setup – March 10th
- PnP SPFx Samples – Solving SPFx version differences using Node Version Manager – March 11th
- PnP – AMA (Ask Me Anything) – SPFx Samples Edition – March 9th
- First Time Presenter – March 24th
- More than Code with VSCode – March 23rd
- Maturity Model Practitioners – March 16th
- PnP Office Hours – 1:1 session – Register
- Download the recurrent invite for this call – http://aka.ms/m365-dev-sig
- Call attention to your great work by using the #PnPWeekly on Twitter.
Microsoft Teams Development Samples: (https://aka.ms/TeamsSampleBrowser)
- Business to Citizen/Consumer Communication Bot – Abtin Amini, Sathya Raveendran, Saikrishna Neeli & Arun Kumar Anaparthi
Demos delivered in this session
- List formatting fundamentals – Options and considerations – a demo about how not to drown in the sea of list formatting options! Presenter starts with UI fundamentals 101 to illustrate the layered approach to formatting and rendering list data. Making changes in one layer may not translate well to other layers. The complexity reducer is to use “columnFormatterReference” that applies changes across all layers or views. Confidently use PnP list formatting samples.
- Exporting SharePoint site structures/documentation to Markdown – rolling out many SharePoint sites without PowerShell? You customer wants to manually create their own sites – based on a guidebook you provide. No worries, you got this. Use PnP PowerShell to develop sites in your Dev Tenant, then output the sites using the PnP Provisioning template – markdown or VS Code files. Complete site configuration is rendered in XML or readable markdown (guidebook).
- New SP Editor chrome extension with Microsoft Graph Toolkit React playground – an M365 Developer power tool that makes it easy to learn and test the latest MGT controls and to create SharePoint applications in a chrome-based browser. Use SP Editor chrome extension to create and update SharePoint Online/SP2013/SP2016/SP2019 css/js files, inject files to web, manage web/list properties, list Webhooks, and run scripts calling Microsoft Graph. Run components before pushing them into your SPFx project.
Thank you for your work. Samples are often showcased in Demos.
Topics covered in this call
- PnP.NET library updates – Bert Jansen (Microsoft) | @O365bert – 5:10
- PnP PowerShell updates – Erwin van Hunen (Valo Intranet) | @erwinvanhunen – 7:09
- PnP Modernization tooling updates – Bert Jansen (Microsoft) | @O365bert – 9:29
- yo Teams updates – Wictor Wilén (Avanade) @wictor – 10:56
- Microsoft Graph Toolkit updates – Beth Pan (Microsoft) | @beth_panx – 13:16
- Demo: List formatting fundamentals – Options and considerations – Chris Kent (DMI) | @theChrisKent – 15:20
- Demo: Exporting SharePoint site structures/documentation to Markdown – Kevin McDonnell (CPS) | @kevmcdonk – 29:53
- Demo: New SP Editor chrome extension with Microsoft Graph Toolkit React playground – easy testing of the controls – Tomi Tavela (RND Works) | @tavikukko – 39:39
Additional resources around the covered topics and links from the slides.
- Slides used in this community call
- Viva Connections https://aka.ms/VivaConnections
- Microsoft Teams Samples Gallery | aka.ms/teams-samples
- Documentation – Use column formatting to customize SharePoint
- Samples – SharePoint List Formatting Samples
- Repo – PnP Framework Provisioning Providers
- Template – Get-PnPSiteTemplate
- Template – PnP Provisioning Template
- Repo – SP Editor for Chrome
- Repo – SP Editor for Microsoft Edge
- Tool – SP Editor – Edge Add-on
- Tool – SP Editor – Chrome extension
- PnP Weekly – Episode 116 with guest João Mendes (Storm Technology Ltd) | @joaojmendes | video | podcast
- SharePoint look book
- Yo Teams video training package
- .NET Standard 2.0 version of SharePoint Online CSOM API
- Microsoft 365 community (PnP) videos | aka.ms/m365pnp-videos
- Microsoft Teams Toolkit for Visual Studio Code
- yo Teams | aka.ms/yoteams
- Video – Getting started using yo Teams | Wictor Wilén (Avanade)| @wictor
- Build a crisis management site to connect people and information
- Developer documentation | https://aka.ms/spdev-docs
- PnP Power Shell
- SharePoint Modernization Partner Guidance – Feedback welcome
- Solution – Building a modern search experiences with SharePoint Framework web parts
- Page transformation guidance
- Page transformation videos
- Modernization scanner
- Microsoft 365 developer program site – Need to become a Tenant Admin to test look book capabilities? Get a Microsoft 365 E5 developer subscription (free tenant for 90 days)
- SharePoint Provisioning Service – Easily provision look book designs to any tenant in the world
- SharePoint Provisioning templates on Github
- PnP Provisioning Tenant Templates documentation
- SharePoint Page Transformation webcast series
- PnP Power Shell
- SharePoint Modernization Tools
Upcoming Calls | Recurrent Invites:
- SharePoint monthly call – March 9th at 08:00am PDT | https://aka.ms/sp-call
- Office add-in monthly call – March 10th at 8 AM PDT | https://aka.ms/officeaddinscall
- SharePoint Framework call – March 11th at 07:00am PDT | https://aka.ms/spdev-spfx-call
- Adaptive Cards monthly call – March 11th at 9:00 am PDT | https://aka.ms/adaptivecardscommunitycall
- Microsoft Teams monthly call – March 16th at 8:00am PDT | https://aka.ms/microsoftteamscommunitycall
- Power Apps monthly call – March 17th at 8:00am PDT | https://aka.ms/PowerAppsMonthlyCall
- M365 General Dev call – March 18th at 07:00am PDT | https://aka.ms/m365-dev-sig
- Microsoft Graph call – April 6th at 8:00am PDT | https://aka.ms/microsoftgraphcall
General Microsoft 365 Dev Special Interest Group bi-weekly calls are targeted at anyone who’s interested in the general Microsoft 365 development topics. This includes Microsoft Teams, Bots, Microsoft Graph, CSOM, REST, site provisioning, PnP PowerShell, PnP Sites Core, Site Designs, Microsoft Flow, PowerApps, Column Formatting, list formatting, etc. topics. More details on the Microsoft 365 community from http://aka.ms/m365pnp. We also welcome community demos, if you are interested in doing a live demo in these calls!
You can download recurrent invite from http://aka.ms/m365-dev-sig. Welcome and join in the discussion. If you have any questions, comments, or feedback, feel free to provide your input as comments to this post as well. More details on the Microsoft 365 community and options to get involved are available from http://aka.ms/m365pnp.
“Sharing is caring”
Microsoft 365 PnP team, Microsoft – 5th of March 2021