Recording of the Microsoft 365 – General M365 development Special Interest Group (SIG) community call from December 10, 2020.
Recording at Microsoft 365 Community YouTube channel.
Latest news from Microsoft 365 engineering and updates on open-source projects: PnP .NET libraries, PnP PowerShell, modernization tooling, on yo Teams, on Microsoft Graph Toolkit, and on Microsoft Teams Samples.
Latest updates – released PnP Core SDK Beta1 of the new library with .NET 5 support, modern pages API and field creation and list item support for complex types. PnP Sites Core December release – last release for the old library. Released yoTeams v2.17.1, and Microsoft Graph Toolkit 2.0 with more capabilities, more samples, and more documentation. There were 3 Microsoft Teams Samples delivered in the last 2 weeks. Plan to join the special PnP watch party – covering the Developing Apps for Microsoft Teams event on December 16th. Download the party invite at https://aka.ms/pnpwatchparty. The host of this call was Bert Jansen (Microsoft) | @O365bert. Q&A takes place in chat throughout the call. Happy Holidays!
- SharePoint Framework call: December 17th at 07:00am PDT
- M365 General Dev call: January 7th at 07:00am PDT
- SharePoint monthly call: January 12th at 08:00am PDT
- Calls on the 24th of December and the 31st of December are canceled!
Today’s Together Mode photo.
- Plan to attend – Livestream – Developing Apps for Microsoft Teams – December 16th, 9:00 am PST | aka.ms/learntogether. Join on special PnP watch party by downloading an invite from aka.ms/pnpwatchparty
- Microsoft 365 Collaboration Conference – virtual event – December 9th – 11th | http://virtual.m365conf.com/
- Register for a First Time Contributor Session – December 14th (EMEA, APAC & US friendly times available)
- Register for a Community Docs Session – December 15th
- Register for – PnP – SPFx Developer Workstation Setup – December 16th (Two Session Times)
- Soliciting Comments – Tell us about DOM dependencies in your SharePoint solutions | https://github.com/SharePoint/sp-dev-docs/issues/6380
- Call attention to your great work by using the #PnPWeekly on Twitter.
Demos delivered in this session
- Displaying progress of Power Automate Flows in your SharePoint lists using Column Formatting definition – using Microsoft Power Automate with list formatting. Specifically, from within a list, request approval using a Flow. In past to see details on a Flow required going to the Flows UI. Now link directly to the invoked Flow run from the list item. Flow run status is viewed on a hover. Delivers approval status to end-users and troubleshooting details on Flow run status.
- Getting started on building a Teams app using the Microsoft Teams toolkit and the Microsoft Graph toolkit – create a new Teams App. In the index.html page you will create, add the Microsoft Teams SDK and Microsoft Graph Toolkit, add the Teams provider and MSAL provider, then drop in components – Login, Agenda, Person, Person card, People Picker and To-Do. Then view your page on localhost. Consent to permissions required and finally install the App in Teams, no configuration required!
- Introduction to Microsoft 365 Maturity Model – helps your customers understand the “why” for Microsoft 365 in their business. Organizations move toward optimization competency by competency. Competencies are collaboration, content management, data & analytics, etc., and are affected by people, process, and technology. Establish a baseline for the business and define a roadmap to next stages. The presenters step viewers through the model’s principles, approach, and business alignment.
Microsoft Teams Development Samples: (https://aka.ms/TeamsSampleBrowser)
- Teams Tab sends notifications to users – Luis Mañez (ClearPeople) | @luismanez
- Teams Tab SSO with MVC – Abtin Amini and Arun Kumar Anaparthi
- Teams Tab SSO with MVC or NodeJS – Hilton Giesenow | @TheMossShow
Thank you for your work. Samples are often showcased in Demos.
Topics covered in this call
- PnP.NET library updates – Bert Jansen (Microsoft) | @O365bert – 7:32
- PnP PowerShell updates – Bert Jansen (Microsoft) | @O365bert – 10:37
- yo Teams updates – Wictor Wilén (Avanade) @wictor – 11:45
- Microsoft Graph Toolkit updates – Beth Pan (Microsoft) | @beth_panx – 13:08
- Microsoft Teams samples – Bob German (Microsoft) | @Bob1German – 15:32
- Demo: Displaying progress of Power Automate Flows in your SharePoint lists using Column Formatting definition – Chris Kent (DMI) | @thechriskent – 17:38
- Demo: Getting started on building a Teams app using the Microsoft Teams SDK and the Microsoft Graph Toolkit! – Sébastien Levert (Microsoft) | @sebastienlevert – 27:56
- Demo: Introduction to the Microsoft 365 Maturity Model – Emily Mancini (Sympraxis Consulting) | @EEMancini, Simon Hudson (Cloud2) | @simonjhudson, Simon Doy (iThink 365) | @simondoy and Sadie Van Buren – 40:10
Additional resources around the covered topics and links from the slides
- Slides used in this community call
- PnP Core SDK Beta 1 | https://aka.ms/pnp/coresdk/docs
- Repo – Generic Flow Status
- Website – Get started with Microsoft Graph
- Website – Graph Explorer
- Documents – Microsoft Graph documentation
- Repo – Microsoft Graph Toolkit
- Solutions – Microsoft Graph partner solutions
- Documents – Microsoft 365 Community Content
- Twitter – M365Maturity
- Twitter – Microsoft 365 Community Docs
- Website – Sharing-Is-Caring Initiatives
- Discussions – microsoft-365-community
- PnP Weekly – Episode 108 with guest Isabelle van Campenhoudt (ShareQL – Power Platform Associates) | @thesqlgrrrl, | video | podcast
- SharePoint look book
- Yo Teams video training package
- .NET Standard 2.0 version of SharePoint Online CSOM API
- Microsoft 365 community (PnP) videos | aka.ms/m365pnp-videos
- Microsoft Teams Toolkit for Visual Studio Code
- yo Teams | aka.ms/yoteams
- Video – Getting started using yo Teams | Wictor Wilén (Avanade)| @wictor
- Build a crisis management site to connect people and information
- Developer documentation | https://aka.ms/spdev-docs
- PnP Power Shell
- SharePoint Modernization Partner Guidance – Feedback welcome
- Solution – Building a modern search experiences with SharePoint Framework web parts
- Page transformation guidance
- Page transformation videos
- Modernization scanner
- Microsoft 365 developer program site – Need to become a Tenant Admin to test look book capabilities? Get a Microsoft 365 E5 developer subscription (free tenant for 90 days)
- SharePoint Provisioning Service – Easily provision look book designs to any tenant in the world
- SharePoint Provisioning templates on Github
- PnP Provisioning Tenant Templates documentation
- SharePoint Page Transformation webcast series
- PnP Power Shell
- SharePoint Modernization Tools
The next meeting is on January 7, 2021, see you in the new year!
General Microsoft 365 Dev Special Interest Group bi-weekly calls are targeted at anyone who’s interested in the general Microsoft 365 development topics. This includes Microsoft Teams, Bots, Microsoft Graph, CSOM, REST, site provisioning, PnP PowerShell, PnP Sites Core, Site Designs, Microsoft Flow, PowerApps, Column Formatting, list formatting, etc. topics. More details on the Microsoft 365 community from http://aka.ms/m365pnp. We also welcome community demos, if you are interested in doing a live demo in these calls!
You can download recurrent invite from http://aka.ms/m365-dev-sig. Welcome and join in the discussion. If you have any questions, comments or feedback, feel free to provide your input as comments to this post as well. More details on the Microsoft 365 community and options to get involved are available from http://aka.ms/m365pnp.
“Sharing is caring”
Microsoft 365 PnP team, Microsoft – 11th of December 2020