Recording of the Microsoft 365 – General M365 development Special Interest Group (SIG) community call from November 12, 2020.
Recording at Microsoft 365 Community YouTube channel.
Latest news from Microsoft 365 engineering and updates on open-source projects: PnP .NET libraries, PnP PowerShell, modernization tooling, on yo Teams, on Microsoft Graph Toolkit, and on Microsoft Teams Samples.
New Releases: Preview 3 of the PnP Core SDK – adding support for Modern pages. Preview of PnP Framework (Sites Core). Nightly builds of PnP PowerShell. Page transformation is now part of PnP Framework! Released PnP Modernization Scanner – v2.18, adding improved workflow detection on list content types. New release v2.16.0 for yo teams and vNext on the horizon. Microsoft Graph Toolkit – Latest update (2.0-preview.4) and new supporting content. Two new Microsoft Teams Development Samples released. The host of this call was Vesa Juvonen @vesajuvonen. Q&A takes place in chat throughout the call.
With hands raised – so many appear to know the answer. Wait, what was the question? Today’s Together Mode photo.
- Register for a First Time Contributor Session – November 16th (EMEA, APAC & US friendly times available)
- Register for a Community Docs Session – November 18th (2 session times)
- Register for Using PnP SPFx Samples w/NVM – November 26th
- Register – Virtual workshop and live coding session – Building Application Experiences in the Windows & Surface Ecosystem, November 18, 2020, from 10 – 11:30 AM EST/1 – 2:30 PM EST
- Microsoft Graph Toolkit – Contribution contest – Details to come
- Call attention to your great work by using the #PnPWeekly on Twitter.
Demos delivered in this session
- Tips and tricks for theme and hover card handling in view formatting – see the latest tips and tricks on switching site color theme. Oops does not flow through to list tiles! The hardcoded tile coloring in properties needs to go. Extend site theming, using theme sensitive classes, to SVG tile elements like box shadows, borders, fill. The trickery – use absolute and relative positioning to control hovercard behavior for parents and children. The solution works in Microsoft Lists, Microsoft Teams, a SharePoint list, and in a Web part.
- Introduction to the new Employee Trainings Microsoft Teams app template – the latest Microsoft Teams app template – Employee Trainings, to be released around November 20th. Provides a central way to manage employee training events across the enterprise. Targets 2 users – training managers and attendees. Trainers create, schedule, manage events, public/private, mandatory/optional. Attendees discover (popular events in their network), register, share and filter events. A bot acts as event concierge, manages registrations and reminders.
- Building Airline industry scenarios with Microsoft Teams and Azure – A holistic Microsoft 365 solution for airline operations and a Microsoft Teams Hackathon 2020 winner. Objective – deliver real-time integration between sky and land personnel. The solution addresses diverse functions like – ticketing, personnel scheduling, escalations, invoice processing, beverage stock in planes. Microsoft Teams solution is supported by Bots, deep linking, messaging extensions, Adaptive Cards, SPFx custom tabs, Power Platform, AI builder, on mobile/tablet devices.
Microsoft Teams Development Samples: (https://aka.ms/TeamsSampleBrowser)
- Search based GIPHY app with Microsoft Teams Toolkit – Rabia Williams (Microsoft) | @williamsrabia
- Me experience as personal application build with SPFx – Rabia Williams (Microsoft) | @williamsrabia
Thank you for your work. Samples are often showcased in Demos.
Topics covered in this call
- PnP.NET library updates – Bert Jansen (Microsoft) | @O365bert – 4:47
- PnP PowerShell updates – Bert Jansen (Microsoft) | @O365bert – 6:56
- PnP Modernization tooling updates – Bert Jansen (Microsoft) | @O365bert – 7:37
- yo Teams updates – Wictor Wilén (Avanade) @wictor – 8:35
- Microsoft Graph Toolkit updates – Beth Pan (Microsoft) | @beth_panx – 10:55
- Microsoft Teams samples – Vesa Juvonen (Microsoft) | @vesajuvonen – 12:38
- Demo: Tips and tricks for theme and hover card handling in view formatting – Chris Kent (DMI) | @theChrisKent – 15:18
- Demo: Introduction to the new Employee Trainings Microsoft Teams app template – Nidhi Sharma (Microsoft) | @nidsonbirdie – 29:43
- Demo: Building Airline industry scenarios with Microsoft Teams and Azure – Manoj Mittal (Mindtree Ltd) | @manojmcans & Bharathi Elangovan (Mindtree Ltd) – 45:18
Additional resources around the covered topics and links from the slides
- Slides used in this community call
- Document – Use the Microsoft Graph Toolkit with React – Waldek Mastykarz (Microsoft) | @waldekm
- Document – Me Experience in Microsoft Teams using Microsoft Graph Tookit and SPFx – Rabia Williams (Microsoft) | @williamsrabia
- Document – Connect your React app to Microsoft 365 – Waldek Mastykarz (Microsoft) | @waldekm
- Repo – Horse Crests
- Document – App Templates for Microsoft Teams
- Document – Key benefits
- Repo – Microsoft Teams Apps Employee Training – Getting Started (available Nov 20th, 2020)
- Blog – manojmittalblogs
- Microsoft Teams Toolkit extension for Visual Studio Code
- PnP Weekly – Episode 104 with guest Cameron Dwyer (OnePlace Solutions) | @CameronDwyer | video | podcast
- SharePoint look book
- Yo Teams video training package
- .NET Standard 2.0 version of SharePoint Online CSOM API
- Microsoft 365 community (PnP) videos | aka.ms/m365pnp-videos
- Microsoft Teams Toolkit for Visual Studio Code
- yo Teams | aka.ms/yoteams
- Video – Getting started using yo Teams | Wictor Wilén (Avanade)| @wictor
- Build a crisis management site to connect people and information
- Developer documentation | https://aka.ms/spdev-docs
- PnP Power Shell
- SharePoint Modernization Partner Guidance – Feedback welcome
- Solution – Building a modern search experiences with SharePoint Framework web parts
- Page transformation guidance
- Page transformation videos
- Modernization scanner
- Microsoft 365 developer program site – Need to become a Tenant Admin to test look book capabilities? Get a Microsoft 365 E5 developer subscription (free tenant for 90 days)
- SharePoint Provisioning Service – Easily provision look book designs to any tenant in the world
- SharePoint Provisioning templates on Github
- PnP Provisioning Tenant Templates documentation
- SharePoint Page Transformation webcast series
- PnP Power Shell
- SharePoint Modernization Tools
The next meeting is on November 26, 2020, see you there!
General Microsoft 365 Dev Special Interest Group bi-weekly calls are targeted at anyone who’s interested in the general Microsoft 365 development topics. This includes Microsoft Teams, Bots, Microsoft Graph, CSOM, REST, site provisioning, PnP PowerShell, PnP Sites Core, Site Designs, Microsoft Flow, PowerApps, Column Formatting, list formatting, etc. topics. More details on the Microsoft 365 community from http://aka.ms/m365pnp. We also welcome community demos, if you are interested in doing a live demo in these calls!
You can download recurrent invite from http://aka.ms/m365-dev-sig. Welcome and join in the discussion. If you have any questions, comments or feedback, feel free to provide your input as comments to this post as well. More details on the Microsoft 365 community and options to get involved are available from http://aka.ms/m365pnp.
“Sharing is caring”
Microsoft 365 PnP team, Microsoft – 13th of November 2020