Recording of the Microsoft 365 – General M365 development Special Interest Group (SIG) community call from February 18, 2021.
Recording at Microsoft 365 Community YouTube channel.
Latest news from Microsoft 365 engineering and updates on open-source projects: PnP .NET libraries, PnP PowerShell, modernization tooling, on yo Teams, on Microsoft Graph Toolkit, and on Microsoft Teams Samples.
Register now for March trainings on Sharing-is-caring. Three new offerings announced – More than Code with VS Code, Maturity Model Practitioners, and First Time Presenter trainings. Also coming in Spring 2021, more details on partner and customer extensibility options in Microsoft Viva Connections. The latest project updates are called out. Released PnP .NET Libraries – PnP Framework v1.2.0 and prepping for v1.3.0 release along with PnP Core SDK Beta 3 followed by GA v1.0.0. PnP PowerShell v1.3.0 released in addition to nightly builds. yo Teams v3.0.1 released and Microsoft Graph Toolkit v2.1.0 is coming very soon. The host of this call was Vesa Juvonen (Microsoft) @vesajuvonen. Q&A takes place in chat throughout the call.
Until we meet in person – perhaps at a real conference where some will complain about travel delays, all are looking comfy here in the cloud room!
- Use Teams Samples – https://aka.ms/teams-samples
- Register for Sharing is Caring Events
- First Time Contributor Session – February 24th, March 1st & 22nd (EMEA, APAC & US friendly times available)
- Community Docs Session – February, March
- PnP – SPFx Developer Workstation Setup – February 22nd, March 10th
- PnP SPFx Samples – Solving SPFx version differences using Node Version Manager – February 23rd, March 11th
- PnP – AMA (Ask Me Anything) – SPFx Samples Edition – March 9th
- First Time Presenter – March 24th
- More than Code with VSCode – March 23rd
- Maturity Model Practitioners – March 16th
- PnP Office Hours – 1:1 session – Register
- Download the recurrent invite for this call – http://aka.ms/m365-dev-sig
- Call attention to your great work by using the #PnPWeekly on Twitter.
Microsoft Teams Development Samples: (https://aka.ms/TeamsSampleBrowser)
Demos delivered in this session
- Build your Microsoft Graph powered electron apps with Microsoft Graph Toolkit – the Electron provider capability secures the authentication necessary (via MSAL, SharePoint, Teams providers) for an app to call Graph APIs from the platform on which you are building with very little coding. The demo shown pulls tasks from Microsoft TO DO and presence from Microsoft Graph and beautifully renders such. Electron authentication will be in the MGT the last week of February.
- Taking advantage of PnP SPFx controls for your Microsoft Teams solutions – in this demo, you will appreciate the Utilities script – functions that streamline development by enabling you to debug your SPFx web parts directly inside Teams. This is brilliantly accomplished by appending debug parameters to the URL of the iFrame inside the embedded-page-container. The js is executed in the console of the browser. Using SPFx for Teams tabs means no back-end hosting or Azure set-up.
- Run CLI for Microsoft 365 in Docker container – the presenter – a PnP CLI maintainer, talks about how a Docker image is built, uploaded, and stored in Docker Hub. Developers pull down the latest image using PowerShell. Run CLI for Microsoft 365, PowerShell, and other tools inside the container to execute every step of a job inside the container. As such, you need not install any of the required dependencies on your host machine.
Thank you for your work. Samples are often showcased in Demos.
Topics covered in this call
- PnP.NET library updates – Bert Jansen (Microsoft) | @O365bert – 7:07
- PnP PowerShell updates – Erwin van Hunen (Valo Intranet) | @erwinvanhunen – 9:26
- yo Teams updates – Wictor Wilén (Avanade) @wictor – 10:59
- Microsoft Graph Toolkit updates – Beth Pan (Microsoft) | @beth_panx – 13:20
- Microsoft Teams samples – Vesa Juvonen (Microsoft) @vesajuvonen – 14:53
- Demo: Build your Microsoft Graph powered electron apps with Microsoft Graph Toolkit – Amrutha Srinivasan (Microsoft) – 16:13
- Demo: Taking advantage of PnP SPFx controls for your Microsoft Teams solutions – Marcin Wojciechowski (Valo Intranet) | @mgwojciech – Slides – 26:22
- Demo: Run CLI for Microsoft 365 in Docker container – Garry Trinder (CPS) | @garrytrinder – Slides – 40:59
Additional resources around the covered topics and links from the slides.
- Slides used in this community call
- Viva Connections https://aka.ms/VivaConnections
- Microsoft Teams Samples Gallery | aka.ms/teams-samples
- Documentation – Microsoft Graph Toolkit: UI Components and Authentication Providers for Microsoft Graph
- Sandbox – Microsoft Graph Toolkit Playground
- User Guide – CLI for Microsoft 365
- Blog post – Use the CLI for Microsoft 365 Docker container in Azure DevOps
- Discussions – pnp / cli-microsoft365
- Repo – pnp-teams-demo
- Repository – Reusable React controls for your SharePoint Framework solutions
- Component Library – @fluentui/react-northstar
- Repo – SharePoint Browser Utilities
- Blog – Serve and debug Teams SPFx app from localhost
- PnP Weekly – Episode 114 with guest Bill Ayers (Flow Simulation Ltd) | @SPDoctor | video | podcast
- SharePoint look book
- Yo Teams video training package
- .NET Standard 2.0 version of SharePoint Online CSOM API
- Microsoft 365 community (PnP) videos | aka.ms/m365pnp-videos
- Microsoft Teams Toolkit for Visual Studio Code
- yo Teams | aka.ms/yoteams
- Video – Getting started using yo Teams | Wictor Wilén (Avanade)| @wictor
- Build a crisis management site to connect people and information
- Developer documentation | https://aka.ms/spdev-docs
- PnP Power Shell
- SharePoint Modernization Partner Guidance – Feedback welcome
- Solution – Building a modern search experiences with SharePoint Framework web parts
- Page transformation guidance
- Page transformation videos
- Modernization scanner
- Microsoft 365 developer program site – Need to become a Tenant Admin to test look book capabilities? Get a Microsoft 365 E5 developer subscription (free tenant for 90 days)
- SharePoint Provisioning Service – Easily provision look book designs to any tenant in the world
- SharePoint Provisioning templates on Github
- PnP Provisioning Tenant Templates documentation
- SharePoint Page Transformation webcast series
- PnP Power Shell
- SharePoint Modernization Tools
Upcoming Calls | Recurrent Invites:
- SharePoint Framework call – February 25th at 07:00am PDT | https://aka.ms/spdev-spfx-call
- Microsoft Graph call – March 2nd at 8:00am PDT | https://aka.ms/microsoftgraphcall
- M365 General Dev call – March 4th at 07:00am PDT | https://aka.ms/m365-dev-sig
- SharePoint monthly call – March 9th at 08:00am PDT | https://aka.ms/sp-call
- Office add-in monthly call – March 10th at 8 AM PDT | https://aka.ms/officeaddinscall
- Adaptive Cards monthly call – March 11th at 9:00 am PDT | https://aka.ms/adaptivecardscommunitycall
- Microsoft Teams monthly call – March 16th at 8:00am PDT | https://aka.ms/microsoftteamscommunitycall
- Power Apps monthly call – March 17th at 8:00am PDT | https://aka.ms/PowerAppsMonthlyCall
General Microsoft 365 Dev Special Interest Group bi-weekly calls are targeted at anyone who’s interested in the general Microsoft 365 development topics. This includes Microsoft Teams, Bots, Microsoft Graph, CSOM, REST, site provisioning, PnP PowerShell, PnP Sites Core, Site Designs, Microsoft Flow, PowerApps, Column Formatting, list formatting, etc. topics. More details on the Microsoft 365 community from http://aka.ms/m365pnp. We also welcome community demos, if you are interested in doing a live demo in these calls!
You can download recurrent invite from http://aka.ms/m365-dev-sig. Welcome and join in the discussion. If you have any questions, comments, or feedback, feel free to provide your input as comments to this post as well. More details on the Microsoft 365 community and options to get involved are available from http://aka.ms/m365pnp.
“Sharing is caring”
Microsoft 365 PnP team, Microsoft – 19th of February 2021