Recording of the Microsoft 365 – General M365 development Special Interest Group (SIG) community call from August 20, 2020.
Latest news from Microsoft 365 & SharePoint engineering and updates on open-source projects: PnP CSOM Core extension, PnP PowerShell, modernization tooling and on yo teams.
August 2020 project releases were rolled out on August 10th and now Modernization scanner v2.16 (Improved 2010 XOML analyzer & search loop fix) and Yo Teams v2.16.0 preview (Schema 1.7 support, SDK 1.7 support & Full screen personal app support), is released this week. Usage of all products strong. A number of capabilities in the pipe for upcoming September – December releases were reviewed. Taxonomy APIs are now available in Microsoft Graph beta endpoint! The host of this call was Vesa Juvonen @vesajuvonen. Q&A takes place in chat throughout the call.
- Register for:
- GitHub – Community Docs Sessions: Aug 28th & 31st (two session times on 31st) Registration Form
- GitHub – First Time Contributor Sessions: August 24th & 26th Registration Form
- Register for the PnP Virtual Conference – September 1, 2020 | https://aka.ms/PnPVirtualConference
- Call attention to your great work by using the #PnPWeekly in Twitter.
Demos delivered in this session
- Using and modifying lists with Microsoft Lists and SharePoint – create a list starting in the central lists index at Office.com that displays new list templates as well as lists you’ve created within Microsoft Lists, SharePoint or shared with you. When creating a new list, choose target site or OneDrive and click Create. The new list adopts site formatting and column types. The property pane offers Wizard-like formatting options or you may format as have always done. Other new features described.
- Microsoft Teams app template – Grow your skills! – use this template/sample as is or extend and customize it to enable team leaders to find and endorse people in a Channel or for talented members of a team to find and join projects to build and document new skills. The template has forms for creating projects, joining projects based on classification, and displays skills acquired on completed projects. The reference sample is fully tested and documented.
- Curating Microsoft Teams Meeting Recordings for External Guests – meetings in M365 leverage Teams, SharePoint and Stream. External guests may be granted access to Teams and SharePoint, but not to recordings in Stream. Manual solution – move videos to an externally accessible SharePoint media library. Better yet, automate the process using Power Automate, Adaptive cards, and an Azure function to move videos, get approvals, create thumbnails, send notifications and create news posts.
Topics covered in this call
- General community news – Vesa Juvonen (Microsoft) | @vesajuvonen – 4:36
- PnP CSOM Core library updates – Bert Jansen (Microsoft) | @O365bert – 6:26
- PnP PowerShell updates – Erwin van Hunen (Valo Intranet) | @erwinvanhunen – 8:17
- Modernization tooling updates – Bert Jansen (Microsoft) | @O365bert – 10:42
- yo Teams updates – Vesa Juvonen (Microsoft) | @vesajuvonen – 11:50
- Demo: Using and modifying lists with Microsoft Lists and SharePoint | Chris Kent (DMI) | @thechriskent – 13:55
- Demo: Microsoft Teams app template – Grow your skills! | Madhan Kumar (Microsoft) – 29:43
- Demo: Curating Microsoft Teams Meeting Recordings for External Guests | Jim Duncan (ShareSquared) | @sparchitect & Francisco Tucker (ShareSquared) – 44:37
Additional resources around the covered topics and links from the slides
- Slides used in this community call
- Microsoft Lists Resource Center
- Icons – Flicon site
- Documentation – Use column formatting to customize SharePoint
- Documentation – Grow Your Skills
- Repo – Grow Your Skills App Template
- Architecture – Grow Your Skills
- Demo – Introduction to App Templates for Microsoft Teams | Kiran Thomas (Microsoft) | @NotKiran
- Stream ideas – External Guests
- Site Designs Studio V2
- SharePoint Starter Kit v2
- Yo Teams video training package
- .NET Standard 2.0 version of SharePoint Online CSOM API
- PnP Weekly – Episode 91 – Guest, D’arce Hess
- Microsoft 365 & SharePoint community (PnP) videos | aka.ms/m365pnp-videos
- Open-source – SharePoint & Open-source PnP | github.com/sharepoint & github.com/pnp
- SharePoint Framework | aka.ms/spfx
SharePoint Framework samples – web parts & extensions | aka.ms/spfx-webparts, aka.ms/spfx-extensions
- SharePoint Framework issues | aka.ms/spdev-issues
- SharePoint UserVoice | aka.ms/spdev-uservoice
- yo Teams | aka.ms/yoteams
- Video – Getting started using yo Teams | Wictor Wilén (Avanade)| @wictor
- Build a crisis management site to connect people and information
- Developer documentation | https://aka.ms/spdev-docs
- PnP Power Shell
- SharePoint look book
- Preparing for Page Transformation UI v1
- Support/Github site
- SharePoint Modernization Partner Guidance – Feedback welcome
- Install the latest version from NuGet
- Install the latest version from PowerShell Gallery
- Solution – Building a modern search experiences with SharePoint Framework web parts
- Page transformation guidance
- Page transformation videos
- Modernization scanner
- Office 365 developer program site – Need to become a Tenant Admin to test look book capabilities? Get a Microsoft 365 E5 developer subscription (free tenant for 90 days)
- SharePoint Provisioning Service – Easily provision look book designs to any tenant in the world
- SharePoint Provisioning templates on Github
- PnP Provisioning Tenant Templates documentation
- SharePoint Page Transformation webcast series
- PnP Power Shell
- SharePoint Modernization Tools
Next Meeting is September 3, 2020, see you there!
General SharePoint Dev Special Interest Group bi-weekly calls are targeted for anyone who’s interested in the general SharePoint development topics. This includes CSOM, REST, site provisioning, PnP PowerShell, PnP Sites Core, Site Designs, Microsoft Flow, PowerApps, Column Formatting, list formatting etc. topics. More details on the SharePoint development community from http://aka.ms/sppnp. We also welcome community demos, if you are interested in doing a live demo in these calls!
You can download recurrent invite from http://aka.ms/spdev-sig-call. Welcome and join in the discussion. If you have any questions, comments or feedback, feel free to provide your input as comments to this post as well. More details on the SharePoint development community and options to get involved are available from http://aka.ms/sppnp.
“Sharing is caring”
Microsoft 365 PnP team, Microsoft – 21st of August 2020