Recording of the Microsoft 365 – General M365 development Special Interest Group (SIG) community call from July 23, 2020.
Latest news from Microsoft 365 & SharePoint engineering and updates on open-source projects: PnP CSOM Core extension, PnP PowerShell, modernization tooling and on yo teams.
Announcement: PnP Core SDK (Preview 2) is available as a Nuget package. The SDK unifies Microsoft Graph, SharePoint REST and CSOM into a unified object model. Open-source project updates: July releases of PnP CSOM Core library, PowerShell, Modernization tooling (Page Transformation and Modernization scanner). The host of this call was Bert Jansen (Microsoft) @O365bert. Q&A takes place in chat throughout the call.
- Register for First Time Contributor Session on July 24th and 27th at https://aka.ms/sharing-is-caring
- Register for Community Docs Session on July 31st and August 3rd at https://aka.ms/sharing-is-caring
- Call attention to your great work by using the #PnPWeekly in Twitter.
Demos delivered in this session
- List magic without code by using column and view formatting – Presently, there are many PnP formatting samples that call for “iconName.” In this demo you see how easy it is to call for Windows emojis – using text property: “txtContent.” Updates were executed easily using Sergei Sergeev’s SP Formatter (Chrome Extension) tool – full formatting using Monaco Editor, instant preview, IntelliSense, find/replace…
- Demonstration of Microsoft Teams app template – app templates – Low-code / No-code (Samples) work out-of-box and are customizable. This demo focuses on a targeted communications app template called Company Communicator. Shown is authoring a message and options for posting to a Teams channel, a chat or cross org chat recipients. This app template is posted in GitHub along with 28 other app templates.
- Introduction to PnP PowerShell cmdlets for Microsoft Teams – Teams cmdlets are included with PnP PowerShell. Erwin steps through using a cmdlet to create a Team. Then with cmdlets using Microsoft Graph behind the scenes, Erwin connects to a tenant, adds a channel, adds/removes a tab, and adds a message. If you have the latest version of PnP PowerShell (v16.1 – July 2020 release), you have the cmdlets.
Topics covered in this call
- General community news – 4:16
- PnP CSOM Core library updates – Bert Jansen (Microsoft) – 7:25
- PnP PowerShell updates – Erwin van Hunen (Valo Intranet) – 9:44
- Modernization tooling updates – Bert Jansen (Microsoft) – 13:36
- yo Teams updates – Bert Jansen (Microsoft) – 15:36
- Demo: List magic without code by using column and view formatting | Chris Kent (DMI) | @theChrisKent – 16:30
- Demo: Demonstration of Microsoft Teams app template | Kiran Thomas (Microsoft) | @NotKiran – 31:50
- Demo: Introduction to PnP PowerShell cmdlets for Microsoft Teams | Erwin van Hunen (Valo Intranet) |@erwinvanhunen – 44:55
Additional resources around the covered topics and links from the slides
- Slides used in this community call
- Icon Overlays – Sample
- Icon Progress Bar – Sample
- Multi-Choice Icons – Sample
- SP Formatter (Chrome Extension) | Sergei Sergeev | @sergeev_srg
- Company Communicator – Document
- Company Communicator App Template – Sample
- App Templates for Microsoft Teams
- Site Designs Studio V2
- SharePoint Starter Kit v2
- Yo Teams video training package
- .NET Standard 2.0 version of SharePoint Online CSOM API
- PnP Weekly – Episode 91 – Guest, D’arce Hess
- Microsoft 365 & SharePoint community (PnP) videos | aka.ms/m365pnp-videos
- Open-source – SharePoint & Open-source PnP | github.com/sharepoint & github.com/pnp
- SharePoint Framework | aka.ms/spfx
SharePoint Framework samples – web parts & extensions | aka.ms/spfx-webparts, aka.ms/spfx-extensions
- SharePoint Framework issues | aka.ms/spdev-issues
- SharePoint UserVoice | aka.ms/spdev-uservoice
- yo Teams | aka.ms/yoteams
- Video – Getting started using yo Teams | Wictor Wilén (Avanade)| @wictor
- Build a crisis management site to connect people and information
- Developer documentation | https://aka.ms/spdev-docs
- PnP Power Shell
- SharePoint look book
- Preparing for Page Transformation UI v1
- Support/Github site
- SharePoint Modernization Partner Guidance – Feedback welcome
- Install the latest version from NuGet
- Install the latest version from PowerShell Gallery
- Solution – Building a modern search experiences with SharePoint Framework web parts
- Page transformation guidance
- Page transformation videos
- Modernization scanner
- Office 365 developer program site – Need to become a Tenant Admin to test look book capabilities? Get a Microsoft 365 E5 developer subscription (free tenant for 90 days)
- SharePoint Provisioning Service – Easily provision look book designs to any tenant in the world
- SharePoint Provisioning templates on Github
- PnP Provisioning Tenant Templates documentation
- SharePoint Page Transformation webcast series
- PnP Power Shell
- SharePoint Modernization Tools
Next Meeting is August 6, 2020, see you there!
General SharePoint Dev Special Interest Group bi-weekly calls are targeted for anyone who’s interested in the general SharePoint development topics. This includes CSOM, REST, site provisioning, PnP PowerShell, PnP Sites Core, Site Designs, Microsoft Flow, PowerApps, Column Formatting, list formatting etc. topics. More details on the SharePoint development community from http://aka.ms/sppnp. We also welcome community demos, if you are interested in doing a live demo in these calls!
You can download recurrent invite from http://aka.ms/spdev-sig-call. Welcome and join in the discussion. If you have any questions, comments or feedback, feel free to provide your input as comments to this post as well. More details on the SharePoint development community and options to get involved are available from http://aka.ms/sppnp.
“Sharing is caring”
Microsoft 365 PnP team, Microsoft – 23rd of July 2020