Recording of the Microsoft 365 – General M365 development Special Interest Group (SIG) community call from September 3, 2020.
Latest news from Microsoft 365 & SharePoint engineering and updates on open-source projects: PnP CSOM Core extension, PnP PowerShell, modernization tooling and on yo teams.
PnP Virtual conference earlier this week was a huge success and we will do it again, perhaps quarterly. Expect September project releases for – PnP CSOM, PnP PowerShell and Page Transformation in the next week. Yo teams v-3.0 alpha to be released later in September. Future enhancements for all projects are called out in session. Mark your calendar – 8:00 am, September 8, SharePoint Monthly community call. Feature topic: Intelligent Intranet digital experience and solution enabler refresh. The host of this call was Vesa Juvonen. Q&A takes place in chat throughout the call.
Picture time with Together Mode
- Register for a First Time Contributor Session – September 9, 14 or 16.
- Register for a Community Docs Session – September 18, 28 or 30.
- Register for Using PnP SPFx Samples w/NVM – September 11, 15 or 29.
- Save the date: SharePoint Monthly community call | Download the recurrent invite from https://aka.ms/sp-call.
- Call attention to your great work by using the #PnPWeekly in Twitter.
Demos delivered in this session
- Microsoft Teams app template – Staff Check-ins – is a Power App based Teams app that provides a simple workflow where staff can check-in with a photo, location, and other details directly from within Microsoft Teams. The solution brings together capabilities of Teams, PowerApps, Adaptive Cards, Power Automate, and of users’ mobile devices. Staff may receive reminders, supervisors check-in details as occur or in roll-up report.
- Creating Power Automate approvals with reminders in SharePoint – Open and Run Flows right in SharePoint. Request approvals on list items or documents. Add approval reminders (month, week, day, minute) to drive timely approval completion. Collect approval transaction time stamps, approval results and comments. Render approval status in formatted table. Mail content list item submitter when submission was approved/rejected.
- Build Microsoft Graph integrated bots using Bot Framework Composer – Bot Framework Composer is a new open-source tool that allows ITPros and Citizen Developers to build a Help Bot that accesses information from ADD and To Do via Microsoft Graph and renders results using Adaptive Cards. One tool/environment to create dialogs, triggers, actions, etc. with little to no code. The Help Bot in this demo can Show Profile, Add task, View Tasks.
Topics covered in this call
- General community news – Vesa Juvonen (Microsoft) | @vesajuvonen – 3:53
- PnP CSOM Core library updates – Bert Jansen (Microsoft) | @O365bert – 6:55
- PnP PowerShell updates – Bert Jansen (Microsoft) | @O365bert – 9:19
- Modernization tooling updates – Bert Jansen (Microsoft) | @O365bert – 9:49
- yo Teams updates – Vesa Juvonen (Microsoft) | @vesajuvonen – 10:58
- Demo: Microsoft Teams app template – Staff Check-ins | Kiran Thomas (Microsoft) | @NotKiran – 13:40
- Demo: Creating Power Automate approvals with reminders in SharePoint | Chakkaradeep (Chaks) Chandran (Microsoft) | @chakkaradeep – 25:23
- Demo: Build Microsoft Graph integrated bots using Bot Framework Composer | Stephan Bisser (Solvion) | @stephanbisser – 44:42
Additional resources around the covered topics and links from the slides
- Slides used in this community call
- Documentation – Staff Check-ins
- Repo – Staff Check-ins App Template
- Request Approval Workflow
- Bot Framework Composer Series – 1 – Use Adaptive Cards
- Bot Framework Composer Series – 2 – Property management
- Repo – Microsoft Bot Framework Composer
- Bot Framework Composer Documentation
- Site Designs Studio V2
- SharePoint Starter Kit v2
- Yo Teams video training package
- .NET Standard 2.0 version of SharePoint Online CSOM API
- PnP Weekly – Episide 94 with (Guest: Phil Worrell (Swisscom)
- Microsoft 365 & SharePoint community (PnP) videos | aka.ms/m365pnp-videos
- Open-source – SharePoint & Open-source PnP | github.com/sharepoint & github.com/pnp
- SharePoint Framework | aka.ms/spfx
SharePoint Framework samples – web parts & extensions | aka.ms/spfx-webparts, aka.ms/spfx-extensions
- SharePoint Framework issues | aka.ms/spdev-issues
- SharePoint UserVoice | aka.ms/spdev-uservoice
- yo Teams | aka.ms/yoteams
- Video – Getting started using yo Teams | Wictor Wilén (Avanade)| @wictor
- Build a crisis management site to connect people and information
- Developer documentation | https://aka.ms/spdev-docs
- PnP Power Shell
- SharePoint look book
- Preparing for Page Transformation UI v1
- Support/Github site
- SharePoint Modernization Partner Guidance – Feedback welcome
- Install the latest version from NuGet
- Install the latest version from PowerShell Gallery
- Solution – Building a modern search experiences with SharePoint Framework web parts
- Page transformation guidance
- Page transformation videos
- Modernization scanner
- Office 365 developer program site – Need to become a Tenant Admin to test look book capabilities? Get a Microsoft 365 E5 developer subscription (free tenant for 90 days)
- SharePoint Provisioning Service – Easily provision look book designs to any tenant in the world
- SharePoint Provisioning templates on Github
- PnP Provisioning Tenant Templates documentation
- SharePoint Page Transformation webcast series
- PnP Power Shell
- SharePoint Modernization Tools
Next Meeting is September 17, 2020, see you there!
General Microsoft 365 Dev Special Interest Group bi-weekly calls are targeted for anyone who’s interested in the general Microsoft 365 development topics. This includes Microsoft Teams, Bots, Microsoft Graph, CSOM, REST, site provisioning, PnP PowerShell, PnP Sites Core, Site Designs, Microsoft Flow, PowerApps, Column Formatting, list formatting etc. topics. More details on the Microsoft 365 community from http://aka.ms/m365pnp. We also welcome community demos, if you are interested in doing a live demo in these calls!
You can download recurrent invite from http://aka.ms/m365-dev-sig. Welcome and join in the discussion. If you have any questions, comments or feedback, feel free to provide your input as comments to this post as well. More details on the Microsoft 365 community and options to get involved are available from http://aka.ms/m365pnp.
“Sharing is caring”
Microsoft 365 PnP team, Microsoft – 4th of September 2020