Recording of the Microsoft 365 – General M365 development Special Interest Group (SIG) community call from August 6, 2020.
Latest news from Microsoft 365 & SharePoint engineering and updates on open-source projects: PnP CSOM Core extension, PnP PowerShell, modernization tooling and on yo teams.
Status and metrics on all open-source projects communicated. Upcoming August 2020 releases (planned for August 10) include PnP CSOM Core library and PnP PowerShell. For CSOM, expect modern search and navbar improvements, support for System.Text.Json, and improved support for provisioning with low privilege accounts. For PnP PowerShell, clean up, authorization code improvements and no longer releasing MSI installer files. The host of this call was Patrick Rodgers (Microsoft) @mediocrebowler. Q&A takes place in chat throughout the call.
- Register for:
- GitHub – Community Docs Sessions: Aug 28th & 31st (two session times on 31st) Registration Form
- GitHub – First Time Contributor Sessions: August 21st, 24th & 26th Registration Form
- Save the date: SharePoint Monthly community call – August 11, 8:00 AM PDT – invite: | https://aka.ms/sp-call
- Register for the PnP Virtual Conference – September 1, 2020 | https://aka.ms/PnPVirtualConference
- Call attention to your great work by using the #PnPWeekly in Twitter.
Demos delivered in this session
- List magic without code by using column and view formatting – 2000+ icons and still can’t find the one you need, often due to naming terminology. Today, Flicon.io (beta) site launched. Icons are organized in categories and found in search thanks to a.k.a. terms behind the scenes. Select icon color and background theme to gage site fit. Copy icon and paste into script, export as SVG or drag it onto a PPT slide.
- Microsoft Teams Messaging Extension with Authentication and access to Microsoft Graph – a search-based messaging extension using authentication to display, in a Microsoft Teams channel, all documents requiring review. Documents are stored in a document library. Retrieved documents are transformed into Adaptive cards with View and Review Action buttons. Review action connects to SharePoint via Graph.
- RESCHEDULING: Microsoft Teams – Grow Your Skills app template
Topics covered in this call
- General community news – 5:12
- PnP CSOM Core library updates – Patrick Rodgers (Microsoft) & Erwin van Hunen (Valo Intranet) – 8:11
- PnP PowerShell updates – Erwin van Hunen (Valo Intranet) – 10:09
- Modernization tooling updates – Patrick Rodgers (Microsoft) – 12:45
- yo Teams updates – Wictor Wilén (Avanade) – 13:29
- Demo: List magic without code by using column and view formatting | Chris Kent (DMI) | @theChrisKent – 15:06
- Demo: Microsoft Teams – Grow Your Skills app template | Madhan Kumar (Microsoft) – TO BE RESCHEDULED
- Demo: Microsoft Teams Messaging Extension with Authentication and access to Microsoft Graph | Markus Möller (Avanade) | @Moeller2_0 – 28:36
Additional resources around the covered topics and links from the slides
- Slides used in this community call
- Use column formatting to customize SharePoint
- Icon Sources – Fluent UI Office UI Fabric
- Community icon search (Flicon.io)
- A Microsoft Teams Messaging Extension with Authentication and access to Microsoft Graph I
- GitHub – Document Review Messaging Extension – Microsoft Teams App
- Site Designs Studio V2
- SharePoint Starter Kit v2
- Yo Teams video training package
- .NET Standard 2.0 version of SharePoint Online CSOM API
- PnP Weekly – Episode 91 – Guest, D’arce Hess
- Microsoft 365 & SharePoint community (PnP) videos | aka.ms/m365pnp-videos
- Open-source – SharePoint & Open-source PnP | github.com/sharepoint & github.com/pnp
- SharePoint Framework | aka.ms/spfx
SharePoint Framework samples – web parts & extensions | aka.ms/spfx-webparts, aka.ms/spfx-extensions
- SharePoint Framework issues | aka.ms/spdev-issues
- SharePoint UserVoice | aka.ms/spdev-uservoice
- yo Teams | aka.ms/yoteams
- Video – Getting started using yo Teams | Wictor Wilén (Avanade)| @wictor
- Build a crisis management site to connect people and information
- Developer documentation | https://aka.ms/spdev-docs
- PnP Power Shell
- SharePoint look book
- Preparing for Page Transformation UI v1
- Support/Github site
- SharePoint Modernization Partner Guidance – Feedback welcome
- Install the latest version from NuGet
- Install the latest version from PowerShell Gallery
- Solution – Building a modern search experiences with SharePoint Framework web parts
- Page transformation guidance
- Page transformation videos
- Modernization scanner
- Office 365 developer program site – Need to become a Tenant Admin to test look book capabilities? Get a Microsoft 365 E5 developer subscription (free tenant for 90 days)
- SharePoint Provisioning Service – Easily provision look book designs to any tenant in the world
- SharePoint Provisioning templates on Github
- PnP Provisioning Tenant Templates documentation
- SharePoint Page Transformation webcast series
- PnP Power Shell
- SharePoint Modernization Tools
Next Meeting is August 20, 2020, see you there!
General SharePoint Dev Special Interest Group bi-weekly calls are targeted for anyone who’s interested in the general SharePoint development topics. This includes CSOM, REST, site provisioning, PnP PowerShell, PnP Sites Core, Site Designs, Microsoft Flow, PowerApps, Column Formatting, list formatting etc. topics. More details on the SharePoint development community from http://aka.ms/sppnp. We also welcome community demos, if you are interested in doing a live demo in these calls!
You can download recurrent invite from http://aka.ms/spdev-sig-call. Welcome and join in the discussion. If you have any questions, comments or feedback, feel free to provide your input as comments to this post as well. More details on the SharePoint development community and options to get involved are available from http://aka.ms/sppnp.
“Sharing is caring”
Microsoft 365 PnP team, Microsoft – 6th of August 2020