Tabs.create append extension path to url as prefix (Edge 39)

Fixed, not yet flighted Issue #10276332

Details

Author
duong n.
Created
Dec 20, 2016
Privacy
This issue is public.
Found in
  • Microsoft Edge
Reports
Reported by 1 person

Sign in to watch or report this issue.

Steps to reproduce

Using the attached extension:

  1. Get an extension web resource, e.g. “some_page.html” by using:
    var url = browser.extension.getURL(“some_page.html”);
    We got url = “ms-browser-extension://MSGextensionName_wvx3sa3v3dj1m/some_page.html
  2. Create a tab to this url by:
    browser.tabs.create({url: url}, call_back_function);
  3. Expected: New tab should open with point to url = “ms-browser-extension://MSGextensionName_wvx3sa3v3dj1m/some_page.html

Actual: There is a new tab but it can not open the web resource since it tried to create with
url = “ms-browser-extension://MSGextensionName_wvx3sa3v3dj1m/ms-browser-extension://MSGextensionName_wvx3sa3v3dj1m/some_page.html"
where extension path are appended as prefix.

Attachments

1 attachment

Comments and activity

  • Microsoft Edge Team

    Changed Assigned To to “Brad E.”

  • Thanks for the feedback on extensions. When I try out the repro on a current insider fast build 14986 it looks like this is fixed. It no longer appends the extension path to the URL.

    May I ask which version of Edge you were testing with?

  • Microsoft Edge Team

    Changed Status

  • We have an internal work item that we found and noticed that this is a duplicate of it. Thanks for the feedback!

    All the best,
    The MS Edge Team

  • This is not fixed in build 15025.1000.170127-1750

  • Microsoft Edge Team

    Changed Assigned To to “Mohit R.”

    Changed Status

  • Re-opening for further investigation since it appears that the fix for 10193919 did not address this bug.

  • Microsoft Edge Team

    Changed Status to “Confirmed”

    Changed Status from “Confirmed” to “Fixed”

  • I’m not able to reproduce this on 15023 or 15028. This is the code I’m using (test.html is located in the root of the side-loaded extension directory):

    var
    url = browser.runtime.getURL(‘test.html’);

    console.log(url);

     

    browser.browserAction.onClicked.addListener(function()
    {

       
    browser.tabs.create({

           
    url: url

       
    });

    });

    I confirmed with the dev who made the fix for 10193919 that his fix should have addressed this issue as well. If there’s something I’m missing, please feel free to reopen with a sample extension (the attached one seems to be missing some logic in its BG script)

  • Microsoft Edge Team

    Changed Assigned To to “Mohit R.”

    Changed Status from “Fixed”

    Changed Status to “Confirmed”

  • We are able to reproduce this with a localized extension. It’s worth noting that this issue only reproduces with loose-file side-loaded extensions. This issue does not apply to an extension that is side-loaded/installed as an AppX. For instructions on how to do this, please see(https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-edge/extensions/guides/packaging/using-manifoldjs-to-package-extensions

    In the meantime, we will continue to investigate a fix on our end.

  • Microsoft Edge Team

    Changed Status from “Confirmed” to “In code review”

    Changed Status from “In code review” to “Fixed, not yet flighted”

    Changed Assigned To to “Arif S.”

You need to sign in to your Microsoft account to add a comment.

Sign in