Steps to reproduce
Sometimes when I try to search using address bar google just wouldn’t load. It keeps spinning for a while and then gives me an error as if there is no network. It happens intermediately and usually goes away after 10-15 minutes.
Comments and activity
- Microsoft Edge Team
Changed Assigned To to “Steven K.”
Can you tell me which search engine you have set as default?
If you are have changed the default search engine in Edge, you need to make a corresponding change to the “Internet Properties” control panel (inetcpl.cpl) to allow searching in the address bar with the new search engine.
Procedure to do this:
- Right-click Start, choose ‘Run.’
- Type ‘inetcpl.cpl’ and click OK
- Go to the ‘Programs’ tab
- Click the “Manage add-ons” button (second section from the top)
- Click the “Search Providers” (left menu titled “Add-on Types”)
- If your chosen search provider in Edge is not listed then on the bottom left corner, click the “Find more search providers…”
- A new window should be created. Add the “add-on” :)
*Direct link to add search provider add-ons: "http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/iegallery
- Click “Close” on the “Manage Add-ons” control panel window.
- Again Click the “Manage add-ons” to refresh the list.
- Click the “Search Providers.”
- Select the search provider you just added.
- Make sure the “search in the address bar…” option is checked.
Props to the original finder "Shawn ‘Cmdr’ Keene [MVP]":
Let us know if know whether this corrected the issue or not,
The MS Edge Team
Sadly none of the suggestions form the topic you’ve linked work for me. I’ve just added google to the search providers in IE and five minutes later, I open new instance of edge, type “json2csharp” in the address toolbar, press enter and it’s stuck on loading and then results in "Cannot reach this page".
Interest point, it’s not working even if I just type “www.google.co.uk” into the address bar. But from Chrome Google opens just fine. And it fixes itself after some time.
Have you tried cleaning your browser cache? Let’s make sure you try that before we dig deeper. Here are instructions for doing that:
Can you open Edge’s debugger windows using F12 and then navigate to a page that usually does not work? Send me a screen capture of the console logs. Also, consider sending a fiddler capture of a session that is not working well.
Let me know if you would like more details on collecting this information.
Also, if you have plugins in Edge can you try to repro this issue with extensions disabled?
Appreciate the support,