When printing the attached PDF, some content is changed in the printed output

Fixed Issue #11896203


Matthias I.
May 4, 2017
This issue is public.
Found in
  • Microsoft Edge
Found in build #
Reported by 6 people

Sign in to watch or report this issue.

Steps to reproduce

Edge displays PDF correctly but printed content differs notably.

Printed content depends on selected printer, on printer settings, and on used computer (please try a different setup if first result looks correct).

Attached example was printed using "Microsoft Print To PDF".
Attached PDF contains a lot of small images with numbers. It looks like these images are printed at wrong positions.

(Possible workaround: Copy the document after printing using a Xerox copier.)

Microsoft Edge 38.14393.1066.0, Microsoft EdgeHTML 14.14393


Comments and activity

  • Microsoft Edge Team

    Changed Assigned To to “James M.”

    Changed Assigned To to “Christian F.”

  • Hi,
    I don’t know if this is relevant but i notice in the original file the words (Sync, Vendor, Block) i know that from .Net, in the .NET platform, a sync block structure Returns the object’s hashcode.

    hope this would be helpful :)

  • Can confirm this. We had this problem with drawings. Switched to Adobe Acrobat Reader solved this for us.

  • Cannot reproduce in Microsoft Edge 40.15063.0.0 Microsoft EdgeHTML 15.15063 (Win10 1703).

  • I just checked a system with Edge 40.15063, EdgeHTML 15.15063.
    The problem remains.
    (but as previously mentioned it depends on several factors; not all setups have this problem)

  • Microsoft Edge Team

    Changed Assigned To to “Amit K.”

  • Can repro with Edge 40.15063.0.0 with the sample file provided above.

    Furthermore, note that this bug also appears when printing the file to a PCL 6 printer (HP LaserJet 4250). The result is similarly wrong but with different numbers in the affected boxes.

  • Printed your original file from Chrome to a Sharp and Lexmark MFP with no issue.

  • Also printed fine to Lexmark and Sharp MFP’s using Adobe Reader. The problem is the Edge Browser and your solution is to stop using that cruddy piece of trash.

  • Reproduced with Edge 40.15063.0.0.

  • Microsoft Edge Team

    Changed Status to “Confirmed”

    Changed Assigned To from “Amit K.” to “Pradeep M.”

    Changed Title from “Edge displays "123456" in PDF but prints "114447"” to “When printing the attached PDF, some content is changed in the printed output”

  • Updating title to describe the problem more broadly. It appears that more is changed than just the digits in the first few cells. 

  • Can also be reproduced on both virtual machines for Edge testing "Microsoft Edge on Win10 (x64) Stable (14.14393)" and "Microsoft Edge on Win10 (x64) Preview (15.15063)".

    There is no use of JBIG2 (was the reason for the problems with Xerox printers) in both files so that shouldn’t be the reason for this issue.

    I also could reproduce this with an PCL6 output generated by the printer driver for the HP LaserJet M425 so the Printer „Microsoft Print to PDF“ is also not the cause. To be sure I printed the original file with Acrobat Reader DC - with no failures in the resulting PDF.

    The error appears randomly on different positions with every print.

    There are no failures in the rows with single-lined text (Tile 16 - 31, 48 - 63 and 112 - 127). The numbers in these tiles are still affected.

    I wrote an article about this on my site - I’m sorry it’s only available in German language:

  • Microsoft Edge Team

    Changed Title from “When printing the attached PDF, some content is changed in the printed output” to “When printing the attached PDF, some content is changed in the printed output”

    Changed Status from “Confirmed” to “Fixed”

You need to sign in to your Microsoft account to add a comment.

Sign in