Steps to reproduce
When trying to browse a website that requires client certificates, my client certificate is shown in the certificate selection dialog, however when choosing it, no PIN for smart card is presented and the authentication fails.
Here are two websites to test against:
below are attachments that show how it works successfully on IE and what is the result on Edge.
Also attached my client certificate.
Comments and activity
- Microsoft Edge Team
Changed Assigned To to “Steven K.”
Due to my delay in getting to this, I would like to see if this is still an issue or if it has been resolved. I am researching the issue now, just in case.
Also, I removed your attachments for privacy, etc. reasons. They are still available only to the Microsoft Edge development team. As an FYI, you can put 'private-' at the beginning of a filename so that it will only be visible by us.
Also, I was able to select a certificate and then had the option to enter a pin. I.e. I was not able to repro this issue on Windows 10 16299.64.
Perhaps, the client certificate was not installed properly?
Let me know.
The issue still remains unsolved.
I am not claiming that any client certificate does not work, it is just our certificates are not working with Edge, and I want to know how to fix it.
We have a base of hundreds of thousands of smart cards issued with these certificates.
They work OK with Chrome and IE and Firefox.
Only Edge does not accept them.
Maybe you can point me to some debugging/trace tools that will assist in the diagnostics.
Thank you for the quick response. I asked about this and we have an idea, however, if what we think is correct (AppContainer related) then this is not something that is customer visible or debuggable, at least that I am aware of.
The details you provided are helpful and will allow me to get the right people on this issue. We will let you know when there is an update.
I also want to mention that if you have a premier support contract or want to get one, you can visit https://premier.microsoft.com and open a support incident and work with an engineer to address this issue in parallel with our investigation
I also have this issue. Scenario: A website using client certificates to login. The browser displays the certificate selection and upon selecting, the user will login. Login works on Internet Explorer and Google Chrome, but Edge fails after selecting the certificate. Feel free to contact me for more details (email address in private attachment)