PlayReady DRM issue on Edge / IE11

Fixed Issue #16067275

Details

Author
Shane P.
Created
Feb 23, 2018
Privacy
This issue is public.
Found in
  • Microsoft Edge
  • Internet Explorer
Reports
Reported by 2 people

Sign in to watch or report this issue.

Steps to reproduce

PlayReady content taking a long time to load on Edge and IE11.

We use the Dash js client for our dynamic adaptive streaming. I’ve narrowed down the issue and it seems the navigator.requestMediaKeySystemAccess and mediaKeySystemAccess.createMediaKeys promises are taking a very long time to callback.

Steps:

  1. Goto - https://www.itv.com/hub/coronation-street/1a0694a9386 on Edge 16 / IE11

Expected:
Content should load and you see a “Play” button after a couple of seconds

Actual:
Content can take upto 5 minutes to load

I’ve also reproduced the same problem on the microsoft play ready test player:

Goto https://test.playready.microsoft.com/Tool/PlayerHAS and select any of the protected content.

Note - we’re using a laptop where we see the problem and have had a number of users complain about something similar. We also have a desktop machine but can’t reproduce the issue on that machine.

This was previously working but the laptop got an update and hasn’t worked since.

Microsoft Edge build - 41.16299.248.0
Microsoft EdgeHTML build - 16.16299

Internet Explorer 11 - 11.248.16299.0
Update Versions 11.0.51

Dell Inspiron 5567
Windows 10 Home - 10.0.16299 Build 16299

Attachments

0 attachments

    Comments and activity

    • Microsoft Edge Team

      Changed Assigned To to “Steven K.”

    • I confirm what is described in the ticket is true. I tested two websites with PlayReady content (DASH+PR and ism+PR), the video can take up to 5 minutes to load.

    • Samething here. This is genarating a lot of complains from our customers. We have no choice to tell them to use another browser.

    • Microsoft Edge Team

      Changed Assigned To from “Steven K.” to “Gurpreet V.”

      Changed Assigned To to “Stephen E.”

      Changed Assigned To from “Stephen E.” to “Marcin S.”

      Changed Status to “Confirmed”

      Changed Status from “Confirmed”

      Changed Status to “Confirmed”

      Changed Assigned To from “Marcin S.” to “Yasser K.”

      Changed Status from “Confirmed” to “Fixed”

    • Hello,

      Thank you for providing this information about the issue. We previously confirmed the problem in a related case, and have published a solution on a new build of Edge. We look forward to additional feedback you may have on how we can improve Microsoft Edge.

      Best Wishes,
      The MS Edge Team

    You need to sign in to your Microsoft account to add a comment.

    Sign in