Steps to reproduce
- Navigate to a web page or type text into the address bar
- Highlight text in address bar
- CTRL-C to copy, Edge will hang for a couple seconds then crash
Note: Copying from anywhere else in the application does not crash Edge, but also does not work. The clipboard remains empty. Pasting from the clipboard works fine. After restarting Edge, it will continue to exhibit the same problem. Rebooting the system resolves the issue temporarily, but after leaving Edge running and using it for an undetermined amount of time (I notice it after a couple days typically), the issue starts happening again.
The following Error is captured in the Windows Event Viewer upon crash:
Faulting application name: MicrosoftEdge.exe, version: 11.0.16299.248, time stamp: 0x5a7e7871 Faulting module name: Windows.UI.Xaml.dll, version: 10.0.16299.248, time stamp: 0xc27fa098 Exception code: 0xc000027b Fault offset: 0x00000000006e80e9 Faulting process id: 0x4ff0 Faulting application start time: 0x01d3acd17f41fbf9 Faulting application path: C:\WINDOWS\SystemApps\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe\MicrosoftEdge.exe Faulting module path: C:\Windows\System32\Windows.UI.Xaml.dll Report Id: ac86e231-16ed-48e3-aad2-5e4f833b2654 Faulting package full name: Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_41.16299.248.0_neutral__8wekyb3d8bbwe Faulting package-relative application ID: MicrosoftEdge Log Name: Application Source: Application Error Event ID: 1000 Level: Error User: N/A OpCode: Logged: 2/23/2018 10:09:59 Task Category: (100) Keywords: Classic Computer: 24650--E7450.2d.hq
Comments and activity
- Microsoft Edge Team
Changed Assigned To to “James M.”
Thank you for providing this information about the issue. Please download and install debug diag from https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=49924
- Open DebugDiag 2 Collection. Allow permission if prompted.
- If the Select Target Type window does not automatically open, click Add Rule…
- Select ‘Crash’ and click Next.
- Select ‘A specific process’ and click Next.
- Click the Process Name heading to sort alphabetically and select any one of the MicrosoftEdgeCP.exe processes and click Next.
- In the Advanced Configuration, please just click Next.
- Lastly, in the Rule Output Location, please choose and take note of the location where the dump file will be written; click Next then click Finish.
- Reproduce the crash in Edge, and open the folder location from step 5 above. Locate the file ending in .dmp; please compress/zip the .dmp file(s) and attach it to this case.
The MS Edge Team