Steps to reproduce
We’ve been using Free Virtual Machines from IE8 to MS Edge - Microsoft Edge Development in headless mode under our devserver for a long time. To test webcode on old browsers. Now I’m trying to set up also MSEdge-Win10 machine, but it fails to connect to the headless instance via Remote Desktop.
- Host is Ubuntu Server 14.04.3 LTS
- It has working headless guests which are set up with bridged NIC, each having different MAC address, our studio router manages static leases for these MAC addresses, so that one can connect to each machine via different LAN IP.
IE8-WinXP, IE8-Win7, IE9-Win7, IE10-Win7, IE11-Win7
- VirtualBox version as well as installed Extension pack is the newest
This is how I set up machines.
# dry run VBoxManage import /storage/VirtualBox/VirtualBoxAppliancesVanilla/Machines-20160721/MSEdge-Win10TH2.ova --dry-run # import and set custom path for vdmk VBoxManage import /storage/VirtualBox/VirtualBoxAppliancesVanilla/Machines-20160721/MSEdge-Win10TH2.ova --vsys 0 --vmname "MSEdge-Win10" --vsys 0 --unit 8 --disk /storage/VirtualBox/VirtualBoxVMDKs/MSEdge-Win10/MSEdge-Win10-disk1.vmdk # check if in list VBoxManage list vms # configure VBoxManage showvminfo "MSEdge-Win10" VBoxManage modifyvm "MSEdge-Win10" --macaddress1 080027DD8A09 VBoxManage modifyvm "MSEdge-Win10" --nic1 bridged VBoxManage modifyvm "MSEdge-Win10" --bridgeadapter1 eth0 VBoxManage modifyvm "MSEdge-Win10" --memory 4096 VBoxManage modifyvm "MSEdge-Win10" --vram 64 VBoxManage sharedfolder add "MSEdge-Win10" --name "msw" --hostpath "/storage/VirtualBox/VirtualBoxShares/msw" --automount # recheck config VBoxManage showvminfo "MSEdge-Win10" # start setup (with VRDE) nohup VBoxHeadless -s "MSEdge-Win10" -vrde on & # start normal (without VRDE) nohup VBoxHeadless -s "MSEdge-Win10" -vrde off & # shutdown VBoxManage controlvm "MSEdge-Win10" acpipowerbutton
/storage/VirtualBox/VirtualBoxAppliancesVanilla/Machines-20160721/MSEdge-Win10TH2.ova is the ova just downloaded from the Download virtual machines site.
Whenever I try to connect to the machine (IP that is statically assigned to 080027DD8A09) w & w/o VRDE - it just won’t connect, timeout. The machine is running
VBoxManage list runningvms.
And this workflow have worked always, also for old machines back when there were WinXP, Win8 machines etc. I have just tested this workflow also for the newest available
IE<NUMBER>-Win7 machines available at the downloads site and it works.
Has anyone else the same problem, how was it solved?
- Does VirtualBox ovas that MS supply for MSEdge + Windows10 need extra tuning via
- It is known configuration error from MS side, where you have not thought about the fact, that these machines can be run in headless state. (Well, you think that having spaces in ova filenames, that are within downloadable zips, is good idea (who does that!?) so the attitude towards non-MSW/command line hosts is… :)) That is, before publishing these machines you have tested them in VirtualBox, but only GUI! and have forgotten to preset up some firewall rules which essentially block VRDE and nothing can be done about it, one just cannot connect headless.
- If solution is changing something in that newly created
/storage/VirtualBox/VirtualBoxVMDKs/MSEdge-Win10/MSEdge-Win10-disk1.vmdkthen yes, I am able to mount VDMKs of the machines with write permissions.
- Configuring machine in GUI somewhere else and then pushing to the server for headless is not acceptable solution. The machine needs to be configured without actually running it, so that we can save the state and rollback when it expires.
Comments and activity
- Same thing applies to “IE11 on Win 8.1” machine - cannot login in headless.
- All “IEX on Win 7” machines work with the workflow described above, it is possible to login in headless.
- Microsoft Edge Team
Changed Assigned To to “Christian F.”
Changed Assigned To from “Christian F.” to “Anton M.”