Adblock/Adblock Plus breaking webpages permanently.

Needs root cause Issue #8426527 • Assigned to Erik A.


Joseph S.
Aug 8, 2016
This issue is public.
Needs root cause
Sign in to suggest a root cause.
Reported by 3 people

Sign in to watch or report this issue.

Steps to reproduce

  1. Installed the adblock plus extension.
  2. Browsed the web, noticed YouTube videos were loading slowly.
  3. Hours later, went to youtube again to find “Hmm, we can’t reach this page.” error.
  4. Uninstalled the extension to see if I could access youtube again, no success.
  5. Cleared all browser data (history, cookies, cashe etc) and still had no success.
  6. Tried reinstalling/uninstalling the extension again, still cannot access YouTube or Wikipedia.

I faced this issue on my old laptop, but have since bought a Surface Pro 4, and I now face the same issue using this device, so it is not an isolated incident. I have tried reconfiguring my IP address using command prompt’s ipconfig, still not fixing the issue faced.


Comments and activity

  • Microsoft Edge Team

    Changed Assigned To to “Brad E.”

  • Hello,

    Thanks for the feedback on Edge and extensions. We are not able to repro this in our internal builds. Could you provide us with a fiddler trace when you are encountering this issue on either of the affected machines?

    I can provide details on how to do this, please let me know.

    All the best,
    The MS Edge Team

  • I’ll need you to provide details on how to do this, thanks.

  • NOTE:
    Please do not visit any sites that contain personal or sensitive data such as
    passwords or financial data while collecting the trace.

    Download and install Fiddler on your machine.

    Run the Fiddler application and make sure “Capture Traffic” is
    selected under File menu.

    Reproduce the issue. (Launch Edge and go to the page that fails)

    Go to the fiddler and now you should see captured network traffic. Select all
    by using Ctrl+A or go to fiddler edit menu and choose select all

    Finally go to, File/Save/Selected sessions/in Archive Zip… and then save the
    file and please compress and upload the file to this connect.

  • Hello

    Strangely, when I have the Fiddler application open, the YouTube website loads perfectly, but when I close the application, YouTube fails to load, so I’m not sure what I have uploaded is of any use. It is a strange issue indeed.

    Thanks for your help.

  • Okay, this is a somewhat known issue when using fiddler.  Based on this article, I can see that your browser is sending HTTP 1.1 and Keep-Alive headers … So the last thing to check is the proxy settings.  Please review how to do this using the article below:!-running-fiddler-fixes-my-app

    Make sure to check these Proxy settings when Fiddler is not running and report back.  Thanks again for your help diagnosing this issue with Extensions in Edge.

  • Hi again,

    I have tried changing the proxy settings, but the issue is still occurring without running Fiddler, and is solved when Fiddler is open. I have uploaded another .saz file, I hope it will be of help, but I feel it might have the same information?

    Thanks again for your time.

  • Microsoft Edge Team

    Changed Assigned To to “Sermet I.”

    Changed Assigned To to “Venkat K.”

    Changed Assigned To from “Venkat K.” to “Rajat J.”

    Changed Assigned To from “Rajat J.” to “Erik A.”

  • I have had this issue to. I ran into it immediately after edge was released with extensions to the public. It my case it caused many sites which played video to stop working. Edge as a whole was loading web pages slower. After a week and an unusable browser, I “fixed” the issue by using the settings app to do a factory reset.

    I have been afraid to try ABP since then. I have not installed it on any other PCs yet.

    The device this occurred on was the surface book with the i5 and dGPU.

  • Changed Status to “Needs root cause”

You need to sign in to your Microsoft account to add a comment.

Sign in