Recording of the Microsoft 365 – General M365 development Special Interest Group (SIG) community call from September 17, 2020.
Latest news from Microsoft 365 & SharePoint engineering and updates on open-source projects: PnP CSOM Core extension, PnP PowerShell, modernization tooling and on yo teams.
PnP CSOM Core library – looking forward to October 2020 release and Preview 3 of PnP Core SDK by end of September. There is a dedicated roadmap segment for PnP Sites Core and PnP PowerShell later in this call. Project status – September releases of PnP PowerShell, Modernization tooling, and yo teams 2.16.0-preview are out. Looking forward to yo teams v2.16.0 preview 2 and Version 3.0 later this month. Six new Microsoft Teams samples were released recently and from now on in this call, the latest Teams samples delivered in previous two weeks will be highlighted. The host of this call was Vesa Juvonen @vesajuvonen. Q&A takes place in chat throughout the call.
Picture time with Together Mode
- Register for a First Time Contributor Session – October 7, 9 or 12.
- Register for a Community Docs Session – September 18, 28 or 30.
- Register for Using PnP SPFx Samples w/NVM – September 29 & October 5, 20 or 27.
- Call attention to your great work by using the #PnPWeekly in Twitter.
Demos delivered in this session
- List and column formatting magic: Out-of-box UI design mode wizards – latest list formatting improvements – “design mode” wizards. Formatting capabilities include: view, date/time, choice & multiple choice, number, and yes/no. Capabilities are supported with “conditional” types – rules. Change colors, styles, icons, fonts. All this through UI and no json! Switch to “Advanced mode” to view/change values in json statements created for you or insert your favorite json sample code.
- Getting started on using Microsoft Graph subscriptions with Azure Functions – Microsoft Graph subscriptions (aka webhooks) allow you/apps to receive activity notifications from various Microsoft 365 services. Graph is the relay or intermediary between a Microsoft 365 service and an app’s webhook. Review architecture, create a webhook (HTTP trigger) in Azure, receive a notification, query Graph back-end for details and review webhook maintenance considerations.
- Updates on PnP Sites Core / PnP PowerShell roadmap – see the step-by-step plan extending into calendar year 2021 for transitioning PnP Sites Core and PnP PowerShell to a modern, clean PnP Core library focusing on Microsoft Graph and modern .NET 5.0 development. A code clean-up adventure to be sure!
Microsoft Teams Development Samples: (https://aka.ms/TeamsSampleBrowser)
- Document Review Search Messaging Extensions – Markus Möller | @moeller2_0
- Call 3rd party (Box) API w/OAuth in an SPFx tab – Ramin Ahmani (Content and Code) | @raminahmadi1986
- Call the new ToDo Graph API from a messaging extension – Stephan Bisser (Solvion) | @stephanbisser
- HTTP Status Codes messaging extension – with cats! – Tomomi Imura (Microsoft) | @girlie_mac
- Common code between Tab and Web Part w/Graph API use – Laura Kokkarinen (Sulava) | @laurakokkarinen
- App installs dynamically on first use – Rajesh Sitaramar (Core BTS) | @rjesh
Thank you for your work. Samples are often showcased in Demos.
Topics covered in this call
- General community news – Vesa Juvonen (Microsoft) | @vesajuvonen – 3:00
- PnP CSOM Core library updates – Bert Jansen (Microsoft) | @O365bert – 5:13
- PnP PowerShell updates – Erwin van Hunen (Valo Intranet) @erwinvanhunen – 6:47
- Modernization tooling updates – Bert Jansen (Microsoft) | @O365bert – 7:32
- yo Teams updates – Vesa Juvonen (Microsoft) | @vesajuvonen – 9:35
- Microsoft Teams samples – Bob German (Microsoft) | @Bob1German – 10:33
- Demo: List and column formatting magic: Out-of-box UI design mode wizards – Chris Kent (DMI) | @theChrisKent – 14:10
- Demo: Getting started on using Microsoft Graph subscriptions with Azure Functions – Yannick Plenevaux (PVX Solutions) | @yp_code – 28:15
- Demo: Updates on PnP Sites Core / PnP PowerShell roadmap – Erwin van Hunen (Valo Intranet) | @erwinvanhunen & Bert Jansen (Microsoft) | @O365bert – 48:48
Additional resources around the covered topics and links from the slides
- Slides used in this community call
- Microsoft Teams Development Samples | https://aka.ms/TeamsSampleBrowser
- Doc – Use column formatting to customize SharePoint
- List Formatting Samples
- Doc – Create subscription
- Blog – Announcing the public preview of Microsoft Graph change notifications delivery via Azure Event Hubs
- Graph Doc – Set up notifications for changes in user data
- Graph Doc – Use the Microsoft Graph API to get change notifications
- Blog – Explore Microsoft Graph Subscriptions – Part I
- Blog – Explore Microsoft Graph Subscriptions – Part II: Azure Function’d like a Pro
- Blog – Explore Microsoft Graph Subscriptions – Part III: Handle subscription lifetime
- PnP Weekly – Episode 96 with guest: Yannick Plenevaux (PVX Solutions) | @yp_code
- Site Designs Studio V2
- SharePoint Starter Kit v2
- Yo Teams video training package
- .NET Standard 2.0 version of SharePoint Online CSOM API
- Microsoft 365 & SharePoint community (PnP) videos | aka.ms/m365pnp-videos
- Open-source – SharePoint & Open-source PnP | github.com/sharepoint & github.com/pnp
- SharePoint Framework | aka.ms/spfx
SharePoint Framework samples – web parts & extensions | aka.ms/spfx-webparts, aka.ms/spfx-extensions
- SharePoint Framework issues | aka.ms/spdev-issues
- SharePoint UserVoice | aka.ms/spdev-uservoice
- yo Teams | aka.ms/yoteams
- Video – Getting started using yo Teams | Wictor Wilén (Avanade)| @wictor
- Build a crisis management site to connect people and information
- Developer documentation | https://aka.ms/spdev-docs
- PnP Power Shell
- SharePoint look book
- Preparing for Page Transformation UI v1
- Support/Github site
- SharePoint Modernization Partner Guidance – Feedback welcome
- Install the latest version from NuGet
- Install the latest version from PowerShell Gallery
- Solution – Building a modern search experiences with SharePoint Framework web parts
- Page transformation guidance
- Page transformation videos
- Modernization scanner
- Office 365 developer program site – Need to become a Tenant Admin to test look book capabilities? Get a Microsoft 365 E5 developer subscription (free tenant for 90 days)
- SharePoint Provisioning Service – Easily provision look book designs to any tenant in the world
- SharePoint Provisioning templates on Github
- PnP Provisioning Tenant Templates documentation
- SharePoint Page Transformation webcast series
- PnP Power Shell
- SharePoint Modernization Tools
Next Meeting is October 1, 2020, see you there!
General Microsoft 365 Dev Special Interest Group bi-weekly calls are targeted for anyone who’s interested in the general Microsoft 365 development topics. This includes Microsoft Teams, Bots, Microsoft Graph, CSOM, REST, site provisioning, PnP PowerShell, PnP Sites Core, Site Designs, Microsoft Flow, PowerApps, Column Formatting, list formatting etc. topics. More details on the Microsoft 365 community from http://aka.ms/m365pnp. We also welcome community demos, if you are interested in doing a live demo in these calls!
You can download recurrent invite from http://aka.ms/m365-dev-sig. Welcome and join in the discussion. If you have any questions, comments or feedback, feel free to provide your input as comments to this post as well. More details on the Microsoft 365 community and options to get involved are available from http://aka.ms/m365pnp.
“Sharing is caring”
Microsoft 365 PnP team, Microsoft – 18th of September 2020