In this PnP Webcast, we concentrated on how to use Docker within the SharePoint Framework solution development. Docker provides you an easy way to run multiple different configurations for your SharePoint Framework development by providing isolation with virtualization.
Presentation covers following discussion points:
- The added value of using docker in the SharePoint Framework development
- You can easily host multiple different versions of SharePoint Framework in a single machine
- You can isolate different tools and configurations
- You can set up a standardized development environment for your team
- Docker images are much more lightweight than classic virtual machines
Webcast demo shows following things:
- Docker resources – where to get it?
- Getting started with docker in your machine
- Starting docker container in your machine
- Running SharePoint Framework Yeoman template in the docker
- Debugging SharePoint Framework solution which is running in docker
The presentation used in this webcast is available from new PnP SlideShare locations at https://www.slideshare.net/SharePointPnP.
Video on YouTube.
See following resources on the covered topics.
- SharePoint Framework documentation
- SharePoint Framework Tutorials
- Docker Hub
- SharePoint Framework Docker image for your team
- Team-based development on the SharePoint Framework
What is SharePoint / Office Dev Patterns & Practices (PnP) webcast series?
SharePoint / Office Dev Patterns & Practices (PnP) webcast series covers different patterns, practices and topics around development with Office 365 and SharePoint. The majority of the topics are valid for the Office 365 and SharePoint on-premises. Our objective is to release a new webcast weekly or bi-weekly with few slides and a live demo of the covered topic. All webcasts are published at the PnP YouTube channel with additional references to the existing materials.
PnP is a community-driven open source project where Microsoft and external community members are sharing their learning’s around implementation practices for Office 365 and SharePoint on-premises (SharePoint Framework and add-in model). Active development and contributions happen in our GitHub repositories under dev branch and each month there will be a master merge (monthly release) with more comprehensive testing and communications. Latest activities and future plans are covered in our monthly community calls which are open to anyone from the community. Download invite from http://aka.ms/SPPnP-Call.
This is work done by the community for the community without any actual full-time people. It’s been great to find both internal and external people who are willing to assist and share their learning’s for the benefit of others. This way we can build on the common knowledge of us all. Currently, the program is facilitated by Microsoft, but already at this point, we have multiple community members as part of the Core team and we are looking to extend the Core team with more community members.
If you have any questions, comments or feedback on SharePoint Development topics, PnP program or this blog post, please use the Microsoft Tech Community (SharePoint Developer group).
“Sharing is caring”
Vesa Juvonen, Senior Program Manager, SharePoint, Microsoft – 3rd of April 2018