Recording of the Microsoft 365 – General M365 development Special Interest Group (SIG) community call from October 29, 2020.
Recording at Microsoft 365 Community YouTube channel.
Latest news from Microsoft 365 engineering and updates on open-source projects: PnP .NET libraries, PnP PowerShell, modernization tooling, on yo Teams, on Microsoft Graph Toolkit, and on Microsoft Teams Samples.
Latest updates – Releases: PnP Framework – nightly builds, PnP Core SDK – Massive internal refactoring making the experience for contributors much simpler + improved test coverage. Classic PnP PowerShell – Added Register-PnPManagementShellAccess. PnP PowerShell Cross-Platform – nightly builds. PnP Page transformation is now part of PnP Framework! PnP Modernization Scanner – Version 2.18, adding improved workflow detection on list content types. yo Teams v2.16.0. Blog post with a sneak peek of new features with Microsoft Graph Toolkit v2.0.0. Announcement: New version of the Microsoft Teams Toolkit extension for Visual Studio Code is now available! One new Microsoft Teams Development Sample released. The host of this call was Vesa Juvonen @vesajuvonen. Q&A takes place in chat throughout the call.
We’re all together now. This session’s Together Mode photo.
- Register for a First Time Contributor Session – November 2nd, 10th & 16th
- Register for a Community Docs Session – November 18th
- Register for Using PnP SPFx Samples w/Node Version Manager – November 11th & 26th
- Register for Hacktoberfest, submit pull requests, get a prize.
- Call attention to your great work by using the #PnPWeekly on Twitter.
Demos delivered in this session
- Microsoft Teams app template – Contact Group Lookup – the Contact Group Lookup app template provides a way to easily surface and interact with members of Outlook groups (Distribution Lists) in Teams. Create a group(s) in Outlook, install app template, and add group(s) to the app. Using the app – quickly view and chat with members, see their status on Teams, and even start a group chat with multiple members of the Contact Group.
- Introduction to New Employee Onboarding Hub in the Look Book site – the New Employee Onboarding (NEO) SharePoint look book template creates 4 site collections (onboarding hub, pre-onboarding and 2 departmental sites) tied together by single navigation. Install through UI or PowerShell (demoed). Step through the sites, the XML and libraries behind the scenes. You will need to customize (update contacts, questionnaires, checklists, graphics) and may wish to extend the open source templates.
- Live London Underground Line Status – SharePoint View Formatting & Power Automate – add a live London Underground Line Status Board to your intranet using SharePoint and Power Automate in 15 minutes. The solution uses Power Automate to provision a SharePoint list and to retrieve and process line status. Uses OOB List web part. Presenter elegantly shows how to transform SharePoint list with view formatting to take on the colorful appearance of Tube status board.
Microsoft Teams Development Samples: (https://aka.ms/TeamsSampleBrowser)
- Giphy Search Messaging Extension – Rabia Williams (Microsoft) | @williamsrabia
Thank you for your work. Samples are often showcased in Demos.
Topics covered in this call
- General community news – Vesa Juvonen (Microsoft) | @vesajuvonen – 1:27
- PnP.NET library updates – Bert Jansen (Microsoft) | @O365bert – 3:15
- PnP PowerShell updates – Bert Jansen (Microsoft) | @O365bert – 5:02
- PnP Modernization tooling updates – Bert Jansen (Microsoft) | @O365bert – 5:44
- yo Teams updates – Vesa Juvonen (Microsoft) | @vesajuvonen – 6:54
- Microsoft Graph Toolkit updates – Beth Pan (Microsoft) | @beth_panx – 8:11
- Microsoft Teams samples – Vesa Juvonen (Microsoft) | @vesajuvonen – 9:43
- SharePoint look book updates – Vesa Juvonen (Microsoft) | @vesajuvonen – 30:25
- Demo: Microsoft Teams app template – Contact Group Lookup – Kiran Thomas (Microsoft) | @NotKiran – 12:04
- Demo: Introduction to New Employee Onboarding Hub in the Look Book site – Kislay Sinha (CGI) | @SinhaKislay – 21:55
- Demo: Live London Underground Line Status – SharePoint View Formatting & Power Automate – Leon Armston (Intelogy) | @LeonArmston – 36:08
Additional resources around the covered topics and links from the slides
- Slides used in this community call
- Document – Contact Group Lookup
- Repo – Contact Group Lookup App Template
- Repo – SharePoint Provisioning Templates
- Repo – SharePoint Provisioning Service
- Document – Overview of the Microsoft New Employee Onboarding hub
- Look book – NEW EMPLOYEE ONBOARDING HUB- Connect, Engage, Inform
- Blog – SharePoint look book – New Employee Onboarding Hub Overview
- Blog – Live London Underground Line Status – SharePoint View Formatting & Power Automate
- Repo – London Underground Line Status
- Microsoft Teams Toolkit extension for Visual Studio Code | https://aka.ms/teams-toolkit
- PAX-Graph blog platform | https://devblogs.microsoft.com/pax-graph
- PnP Weekly – Episode 102 with guest Tomomi Imura (Microsoft) | @girlie_mac | video | podcast
- SharePoint look book
- Yo Teams video training package
- .NET Standard 2.0 version of SharePoint Online CSOM API
- Microsoft 365 community (PnP) videos | aka.ms/m365pnp-videos
- Microsoft Teams Toolkit for Visual Studio Code
- yo Teams | aka.ms/yoteams
- Video – Getting started using yo Teams | Wictor Wilén (Avanade)| @wictor
- Build a crisis management site to connect people and information
- Developer documentation | https://aka.ms/spdev-docs
- PnP Power Shell
- SharePoint Modernization Partner Guidance – Feedback welcome
- Solution – Building a modern search experiences with SharePoint Framework web parts
- Page transformation guidance
- Page transformation videos
- Modernization scanner
- Microsoft 365 developer program site – Need to become a Tenant Admin to test look book capabilities? Get a Microsoft 365 E5 developer subscription (free tenant for 90 days)
- SharePoint Provisioning Service – Easily provision look book designs to any tenant in the world
- SharePoint Provisioning templates on Github
- PnP Provisioning Tenant Templates documentation
- SharePoint Page Transformation webcast series
- PnP Power Shell
- SharePoint Modernization Tools
The next meeting is on November 12, 2020, see you there!
General Microsoft 365 Dev Special Interest Group bi-weekly calls are targeted at anyone who’s interested in the general Microsoft 365 development topics. This includes Microsoft Teams, Bots, Microsoft Graph, CSOM, REST, site provisioning, PnP PowerShell, PnP Sites Core, Site Designs, Microsoft Flow, PowerApps, Column Formatting, list formatting, etc. topics. More details on the Microsoft 365 community from http://aka.ms/m365pnp. We also welcome community demos, if you are interested in doing a live demo in these calls!
You can download recurrent invite from http://aka.ms/m365-dev-sig. Welcome and join in the discussion. If you have any questions, comments or feedback, feel free to provide your input as comments to this post as well. More details on the Microsoft 365 community and options to get involved are available from http://aka.ms/m365pnp.
“Sharing is caring”
Microsoft 365 PnP team, Microsoft – 30th of October 2020