In this episode Vesa and Waldek are joined by Bert Jansen Senior Service Engineer at Microsoft. Bert is focused on the modernization journey and on tools that simplify SharePoint adoption.
In addition to drawing attention to the latest advancements being delivered by the SharePoint Community and Microsoft, Vesa, Waldek and Bert’s discussion this week focused on Modernization. The case for waiting to transform because modern does not have the same capabilities as classic is no longer valid. Modern has more capabilities, some of which are available only in SPO. The bottlenecks to adoption discussed: 1) Not sure what needs to be modernized 2) Not sure what tools to use and 3) Not sure I want to lose my customizations.
What is the future for modern? One sure direction is the creation of “PnP services.” In the not too distant future the customer will no longer need to download and configure the latest transformation tools. Instead the site admin or site collection admin will go to a web page or API, enter a few details and then initiate the scan or migration. Behind the scenes, the latest tool/code is invoked to execute on the request.
This episode was recorded on Monday, November 25, 2019.
These videos and podcasts are published each week and they are intended to be roughly 30-45 minutes in length. Please do give us feedback on this video and podcast series and also do let us know if you have done something cool/useful so that we can cover that in the next weekly summary! The easiest way to let us know is to share your work on Twitter and add the hashtag #SPDevWeekly. We are always on the lookout for refreshingly new content. “Sharing is caring!”
SharePoint Saturdays this week – November 30th
- SharePoint Saturday – Munich | @SPSMUC – Keynote by Dan Holme and Omar Shahine
- SharePoint Saturday – Bangalore | @spsbangalore – Keynote by Tracy v/d Schyff
European SharePoint Conference – December 2 – 5
Here are all the links and people mentioned in this recording. Thanks, everyone for your contributions to the community!
- Modernization partner guidance | Microsoft
- Upcoming API changes to SharePoint social feed APIs and following | Microsoft
- SharePoint Framework State of the Union (Fall 2019) from Microsoft Ignite 2019 | Andrew Connell (Voitanos)
- My Ignite 2019 announcement slides (plus selected roadmaps) | Chris O’Brien (Content and Code)
- React My Tasks Web Part | João Mendes (CREATE IT)
- Delve Blogs Retired: Another One Bites the Dust | Vlad Catrinescu (Valo Intranet)
- #SharePoint Home Site for my tenant – Tweet | Susan Hanley
- Add Office 365 CDN rule to have a document library for each SharePoint site | David Ramalho (BindTuning)
- SharePoint modern page tutorial: an SPFX Tour sample Webpart | Federico Porceddu (Avanade)
- SharePoint Online Client Browser v4.6 | Bram de Jager (Delaware Netherlands)
- Adding dynamic references to default components of an Office 365 Group using SharePoint Site Designs | Jarbas Horst (Valo Intranet)
- SharePoint look book: how to provision templates to non-English tenants | Thomy Göelles (Solvion)
- Why it is important to keep the version in sync when using the library component in SharePoint Framework | Elio Struyf (Valo Intranet)
- Show the progress of your PnP Provisioning process with SharePoint Application customizer and SignalR | Sergei Sergeev (Mastaq)
- Getting Related Team Information from Private Channel in SPFx MS Teams App | Alex Terentiev (Sharepointalist)
- SharePoint Usage Docs | Marc D Anderson (Sympraxis Consulting)
- Modernization Scanner
- Video – Preview of new capabilities with SharePoint Framework version 1.10
- Video – Preview – SharePoint Framework plans for year 2020, including Fluid Framework integration
If you’d like to hear from a specific community member in an upcoming recording and/or have specific questions to SharePoint engineering or visitors – please let us know. We will do our best to address your requests or questions.
“Sharing is caring!”
SharePoint Team, Microsoft – 26th of November 2019