Developer Diary Official Rules
The Developer Diary promotion will operate as a skilled-based contest. This Contest is hosted in the United States and entry information is collected on computers in the United States. This Contest will be governed by the laws of the State of Washington and you consent to the exclusive jurisdiction and venue of the courts of the State of Washington for any disputes arising out of this Contest. If you do not agree with this provision and these Official Rules, please do not enter this Contest.
COMMON OFFICIAL RULES USED IN THESE CONTEST OFFICIAL RULES:
These are the Official Rules that govern how the Microsoft Developer Diary Contest will operate (“Contest”).
In these Official Rules, “we,” “our,” and “us” refer to Microsoft Corporation, the sponsor of this Contest. “You” and “your” refers to an eligible Contest entrant. This contest is for individual entrants, no teams or groups.
The object of this Contest is to submit a Developer Diary, detailing your work as you develop UWP games, featuring Microsoft or other Dream.Build.Play sponsor/partner technologies.
WHAT ARE THE START AND END DATES?
This Contest starts at 00:01:00 Coordinated Universal Time (“UTC”) on August 22, 2017 and ends at 23:59:59 UTC on December 31, 2017 (“Contest Period”).
CAN I ENTER?
You are eligible to enter this Contest if you meet the following requirements at the time entry:
- If you are a legal resident in your place of residence and 18 years of age or older as of August 22, 2017. If you are 18 years of age or older but are considered a minor in your place of residence, you must have your parent’s or legal guardian’s permission to enter; and
- You have a Dream.Build.Play account and you agree to the Official Rules for this contest; and
- You have the technical programming education, experience and/or knowledge to create games for UWP; and
- You are NOT a resident of any of the following countries: Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Sudan, and Syria; and
* PLEASE NOTE: U.S. export regulations prohibit the export of goods and services to Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Sudan and Syria. Therefore, residents of these countries / regions are not eligible to participate.
- You are NOT an employee of Microsoft Corporation or an employee of a Microsoft subsidiary; and
- You are NOT an employee of any company or organization that is involved in the provision of prizes, equipment or materials for this Contest; and
- You are NOT involved in any part of the administration and execution of this Contest; and
- You are NOT an immediate family (parent, sibling, spouse, child) or household member of a Microsoft employee, an employee of a Microsoft subsidiary, or a person involved in any part of the administration and execution of this Contest.
PLEASE NOTE: It is your sole responsibility to review and understand your employer’s policies regarding your eligibility to participate in promotions. If you are participating in violation of your employer’s policies, you may be disqualified from entering or receiving prizes. Microsoft disclaims any and all liability or responsibility for disputes arising between an employee and their employer related to this matter, and prizes will only be awarded in compliance with the employer’s policies.
This Contest is void where prohibited by law.
HOW DO I ENTER?
Create either a text-based (blog or microblog) or video-based Developer Diary Entry detailing your work, as you develop UWP games, featuring Microsoft or other Dream.Build.Play sponsor/partner technologies (“Entry”).
Your Entry must include information on the following topics:
- What game you’re building and how you decided to choose that game/genre/style;
- What technology you’re using;
- Your team* make-up – are you the solo member, or are you part of a team? If you are part of the team, what is your role and what are the roles of the other members; and
- What Microsoft technologies, and what partner technologies, are you using and why?
You can also include information about:
- Any problems you’ve encounter and your fixes/solutions
- Describe any cool features that surprised you;
- Your plans for your game after Dream.Build.Play; and
- How did you use Azure in your game?
Your Entry must contain a minimum of five (5) diary posts spanning a time range of more than 30 days from start to finish, during the Contest Period.
Each text-based (blog or microblog) Developer Diary post must be a minimum of 350 words.
Each Video-based Developer Diary post on Mixer, Twitch or You Tube must be a minimum of 8 minutes in length.
*References to other team members do not constitute their eligibility to win a prize. Only a single prize will be awarded to one (1) individual, regardless of if they are part of a team or are competing solo.
Limit one (1) entry per person.
During the Contest Period, go to www.dreambuildplay.com, visit the home page, click on the Developer Diary icon, agree to the official rules, enter the URL where your Developer Diary is hosted and hit submit. The URL shared on your official entry form must be publicly viewable.
WHAT CONSTITUTES AN ELIGIBLE ENTRY?
To be eligible for judging an Entry must meet the following content / technical requirements:
- your Entry must be in English;
- your Entry must be your own original work; and
- your Entry cannot have been selected as a winner in any other Contest; and
- you must have obtained any and all consents, approvals or licenses required for you to submit your Entry.
An Entry may NOT contain, as determined by us, in our sole and absolute discretion, any content that:
- is sexually explicit, unnecessarily violent or derogatory of any ethnic, racial, gender, religious, professional or age group; profane or pornographic;
- promotes alcohol, illegal drugs, tobacco, or any political agenda;
- is obscene or offensive;
- defames, misrepresents or contains disparaging remarks about other people or companies;
- contains content which infringes intellectual property rights of others;
- communicates messages or images inconsistent with the positive images and/or good will to which we wish to associate; and/or violates any law;
- contains trademarks, logos or trade dress, without express written consent of the rights holder(s) or a reasonable apparent lawful bias for your use;
- contains copyrighted materials owned by others (including photographs, sculptures, paintings, music and other works of art of images published on or in websites, television, movies or other media) either without express consent of the rights holder(s) or a reasonable apparent lawful bias for your use;
- contains materials embodying the names, likenesses, voices, or other indicia identifying any person (other than a member of your family or community for whom you have received consent) including, without limitation, celebrities and/or other public or private figures, living or dead either without express written consent of the rights holder(s) or a reasonably apparent lawful basis for your use(s);
- contains look-alikes of celebrities or other public or private figures, living or dead either without express written consent of the rights holder(s) or a reasonably apparent lawful basis for your use(s);
- contains packaging or building (exteriors/interiors) owned by others.
Microsoft reserves the right to investigate and verify, conditionally reject, or reject outright any Entry, in our sole and absolute discretion, that we determine does not meet the above criteria.
HOW WILL MY ENTRY BE POTENTIALLY USED?
Other than what is set forth below, we are not claiming any ownership rights to your Entry. However, by submitting your Entry, you:
- are granting us an irrevocable, royalty-free, worldwide right and license to: (i) review, assess, test and otherwise analyze your Entry and all its content in connection with this Contest; (ii) feature your Entry and all content in connection with the marketing, sale, or promotion of this Contest (including but not limited to internal and external sales meetings, conference presentations, tradeshows, and screen shots of the Entry in press releases) in all media (now known or later developed); and (iii) feature your Entry in Microsoft Products;
- agree to sign any necessary documentation that may be required for us and our designees to make use of the rights you granted above;
- understand and acknowledge that you retain ownership of your Entry IP, but Sponsor(s) may have developed or commissioned materials similar or identical to your Entry and you waive any claims you may have resulting from any similarities to your Entry;
- understand that we cannot control the incoming information you will disclose to our representatives while entering, or what our representatives will remember about your Entry. You also understand that we will not restrict work assignments of representatives who have had access to your Entry. By entering this Contest, you agree that use of information in our representatives’ unaided memories in the development or deployment of our products or services does not create liability for us under this agreement or copyright or trade secret law;
- understand that you will not receive any compensation or credit for use of your Entry, other than what is described in these Official Rules.
If you do not want to grant us these rights to your Entry, please do not enter this Contest.
WHAT OTHER CONDITIONS AM I AGREEING TO BY ENTERING?
By entering this Contest, you agree:
- To abide by these Official Rules; and
- To release and hold harmless Microsoft, and each entity’s respective parents, subsidiaries, affiliates, employees and agents from any and all liability or any injury, loss or damage of any kind arising from or in connection with this Contest, or any prize won; and
- That Microsoft’s decisions will be final and binding on all matters related to this Contest; and
- That, by accepting a prize, Microsoft may use your name and country of residence, online and in print, or in any other media, in connection with this Contest, without payment or compensation to you, except where prohibited by law; and
JUDGING AND WINNER DETERMINATION
On or about January 8, 2018, a panel of judges appointed by us will judge all eligible Entries using the judging criteria below. The highest scoring Entry will be determined as the winner. Persons who submit an Entry are not eligible to judge.
All judging will be based on the following judging criteria:
Does your diary provide information that is helpful to other developers building on Microsoft platforms?
Can other developers relate to the experience/information described in your diary?
Is your diary easy to follow and understand?
One (1) Grand Prize - $5,000 USD (awarded as a check made payable to the winner).
If you are the potential winner, we will notify you by sending a message to the e-mail address, the phone number, or mailing address (if any) on file with your Microsoft Account or provided at time of Entry, within ten (10) days following completion of judging. If the notification that we send is returned as undeliverable, your contact information is false, or you are otherwise unreachable or ineligible for any reason, we may disqualify you.
If the potential winner is 18 years of age or older, but is considered a minor in their place of legal residence, we may require that person’s parent or legal guardian to sign all required forms on their behalf. If the potential winner does not complete the required forms as instructed and/or return the required forms within the time period listed on the winner notification message, we may disqualify them.
The prize winner is a potential winner, subject to notification, verification and acceptance of such prize. Taxes, duties or other costs, if any, relating to receipt, acceptance and/or use of a prize is the sole responsibility of the winner. If there is a dispute as to who is the potential winner, Sponsor will consider the potential winner to be the authorized account holder of the e-mail address used to enter the Contest. Potential winner (or the winner’s parent/legal guardian) will be required to sign and return a Declaration of Eligibility, Liability/Publicity Release and a W-9 tax form or W-8BEN tax form within 10 days of notification. If a potential winner does not complete the required forms as instructed and/or return the required forms within the time period listed on the winner notification message, Sponsor may disqualify the potential winner.
In the event a potential winner cannot be reasonably notified, verified or confirmed based on two (2) attempts (and further attempts at Sponsor's sole discretion), the Contest prize is declined or a potential winner or Entry is determined not to be eligible for Contest participation or award of a Contest prize for whatever reason, an alternate winner may be determined based on the Judging Criteria in accordance with these Official Rules.
If you are confirmed as a winner of this Contest:
- You may not exchange your prize for merchandise or services; and
- You may not designate someone else as the winner. If you are unable or unwilling to accept your prize; and
- If you accept a prize, you will be solely responsible for all applicable taxes related to accepting the prize; and
- If you are otherwise eligible for this Contest, but are considered a minor in your place of residence, we may award the prize to your parent/legal guardian on your behalf; and
WHAT IF SOMETHING UNEXPECTED HAPPENS AND THE CONTEST CAN’T RUN AS PLANNED?
If someone cheats, or a virus, bug, catastrophic event, or any other unforeseen or unexpected event that cannot be reasonably anticipated or controlled, (also referred to as force majeure) affects the fairness and / or integrity of this Contest, we reserve the right to cancel, change or suspend this Contest. This right is reserved whether the event is due to human or technical error. If a solution cannot be found to restore the integrity of the Contest, we reserve the right to judge all eligible Entries received before we had to cancel, change or suspend the Contest to determine the winners.
If you attempt to compromise the integrity or the legitimate operation of this Contest by hacking or by cheating or committing fraud in ANY way, we may seek damages from you to the fullest extent permitted by law. Further, we may ban you from participating in any of our future Contests, so please play fairly.
HOW CAN I FIND OUT WHO WON?
We will post the name of the winner online at www.dreambuildplay.com. This list will remain posted for at least one month after the Contest Period.
At Microsoft, we are committed to protecting your privacy. Microsoft uses the information you provide to notify prize winners, and to send you information about other Microsoft products and services, if requested by you. Microsoft will not share the information you provide with third parties without your permission except where necessary to complete the services or transactions you have requested, or as required by law. Microsoft is committed to protecting the security of your personal information. We use a variety of security technologies and procedures to help protect your personal information from unauthorized access, use, or disclosure. Your personal information is never shared outside the company without your permission, except under conditions explained above.
If you believe that Microsoft has not adhered to this statement, please notify us by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and we will use commercially reasonable efforts to remedy the situation.
WHO IS SPONSORING THIS CONTEST?
One Microsoft Way
Redmond, WA 98052
WHO IS THE ADMINISTRATOR OF THIS CONTEST?
Gage Marketing Group, LLC
10000 Highway 55
Minneapolis, MN 55441