One of the top User Voice requests we see is for APIs to enable the migration of messages from other messaging apps to Microsoft Teams.
Given the demand from our community, we’re pleased to announce the beta release of the import capabilities. These new capabilities give you the ability to import channel messages into a new team, specify the message sender and timestamp and link to files. These capabilities are built with scale in mind. At a high level, the import process consists of the following:
- Create a team with a back-in-time timestamp
- Create a channel with a back-in-time timestamp
- Import external back-in-time dated messages
- Complete the team and channel migration process
- Add team members
Requirements before starting to use the new Import API are:
- Analyze and prepare message data
- Review the third-party data to decide what will be migrated.
- Extract the selected data from the third-party chat system.
- Map the third-party chat structure to the Teams structure.
- Convert import data into format needed for migration.
- Set up your Office 365 tenant:
- Ensure that an Office 365 tenant exists for the import data.
- Make sure that team members are in AzureActive Directory (AAD).
For more information, see Import third-party platform messages to Teams using Microsoft Graph.